UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor fanlly
Visitor

AXI GPIO max rate?

Hello,

I use one GP AXI Master Port to extend IO by adding AXI Interconnect IP and AXI GPIO IP. I test AXI GPIO rate, only 2MHz-3MHz.
In SDK, using code below
while(1)
{
  XGpio_DiscreteWrite(&LED_Ptr, 1, 0xffffffff);
  XGpio_DiscreteWrite(&LED_Ptr, 1, 0x00000000);
}
When I set FCLK_CLK0 100MHZ, GPIO rate is about 2.3MHz.If FCLK_CLK0 200MHZ, GPIO rate is about 3.6MHz.
I think it is too slow. What is the max rate for AXI GPIO? How to config ZYNQ to max AXI GPIO rate? Thanks!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Visitor hobbin
Visitor

Re: AXI GPIO max rate?

Hi fanlly,

I'm also experimenting with the AXI GPIO. I saw your post in the Zedboard forum where someone suggested using a function inside of XGpio_DiscreteWrite. I thought this was a good idea for a software approach.
I cannot find the function definition for XGpio_DiscreteWrite. I'm unsure how to find it. The documentation seems to be in HTML format. Maybe my program to open it (Chrome) isn't handling it correctly.

If I were going to blink LEDs at a certain rate (I am trying to, actually) I would tie the LEDs to a clock divider which was connected to the fabric clock.

--
if you plan on being original, plan on being copied
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

The function XGpio_DiscreteWrite is included in the following driver code xgpio.c

$SDK_Install\sw\XilinxProcessorIPLib\drivers\gpio_v3_01_a\src

--Hem

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

I have the same slow rates problem.

have you found a solution to increase the rate ?

Thanks,

Shai

0 Kudos
Teacher muzaffer
Teacher

It's quite difficult to push AXI GPIO below 100ns. What speed do you need? If you want really high speed, the best choice is to move some of the logic into PL.
- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
0 Kudos
Visitor hb18678
Visitor

What is the reason we can't push it? 

I am writing a device driver to update the display which is 320 x 240 x 24 bit.  So if it's 2.5MHz, then my application will do nothing but update the display assuming 30 fps.

0 Kudos
Teacher muzaffer
Teacher

It's a fundamental limitation of the AXI GP ports. If you want high speed, you need an AXI master in PL to read the frame buffer from the ddr itself.

- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
0 Kudos