UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

Accessing DDR from PL on Zynq

Accepted Solution Solved
Observer
Accepted Solution

Accessing DDR from PL on Zynq

Hi everyone, I have a module, synthesized by Vivado HLS, with a AXI master interface. It just copies an array from one location to another. It works well when connected to a BRAM controller, but fails to read/write data from DDR. I referred to the CDMA design in UG873, chapter 6. To access the DDR it just connects its AXI master port to the high-performance AXI slave ports of the PS. I tried connecting my module to these ports, to the ACP and to the general-purpose AXI slave ports with no luck. Am I missing some setting? What could be the reason? Please help me, I will appreciate any hints. My thesis is due in a couple of weeks and I really need to get it working. Thank you! Alex

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Observer

Re: Accessing DDR from PL on Zynq

Solved it!

To make it work, I set the (AR/AW)CACHE=0x11 and (AR/AW)PROT=0x00. In the CDMA datasheet, these were the recommended values, which I confirmed with ChipScope, when attached to CDMA's master port.

The default values set by VHLS were 0x00 and 0x10 respectively, which is also the case in the last post.

Alex

View solution in original post

All Replies
Adventurer

Hello Alex,

In ZYNQ, you can not access the DDR pins directly. The only way is to use the hardcoded memory controller in PS7. So you can not access it from the PL. What is the problem when you are settin the hardcoded memory controller in PS7?

Regards,

Berk

Observer

Hi Berk,

I am not accesing the DDR directly, but through the AXI slave ports of the PS, just the way it's described in UG873, chapter 6 http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx14_1/ug873_zynq_ctt.pdf

But instead of the "axi_cdma" core from the pcore library, I use my own module with a AXI master interface, generated in Xilinx Vivado HLS. I believe the tool synthesises a valid design, since I am able to access the BRAM controller, through a slave AXI.

I thought accessing the DDR would be as easy as the BRAM, since both are accessed through a AXI slave interface, but DDR does not work for me.

Has someone done a similar design of creating an accelerator, that would access data in DDR?

Thank you,

Alex

Xilinx Employee

It should be as easy as accessing a bram controller. Keep in mind that these ports are AXI3 so the burst size is smaller than AXI4.

I would suggest that you add chipscope to your design and look at the axi interface from your master and the axi interface between the interconnect and the HP/SGP/ACP port.

Also, if you are using xmd to test written values from your master, use the mrd_phy command in order to guarantee that cache isn't getting in the way.

Visitor

Hi, all

I have a similar problem on xc7z020 board. I have a module with a AHB2.0 master interface. I used LogiCORE IP AHBLite to AXI Bridge v1.00a. I connected my master port to ahblite port, and the AHBLite to AXI Bridge is connected to S_AXI_HP0. I used ChipScope to monitor the M_AXI and S_AXI Port. To accesing DDR3, S_AXI_HP0 alwasys returns "DECERR" with BRESP/RRESP signal.

S_AXI.PNG

I also try to change my AHB2.0 master interface to AXI master interface, and use LogiCORE IP AXI External Master Connector. It also did not work with the same DECERR error.

I try to do a CDMA project from UG873, It is work.

I am nor sure it is right that i connected CDMA M_AXI  with External Master Connector S_AXI, and External Master is connect to S_AXI_HP0.  But when i monitor S_AXI_HP0, it also returns DECERR.

Does anyone help me? Thanks.

Highlighted
Observer

Solved it!

To make it work, I set the (AR/AW)CACHE=0x11 and (AR/AW)PROT=0x00. In the CDMA datasheet, these were the recommended values, which I confirmed with ChipScope, when attached to CDMA's master port.

The default values set by VHLS were 0x00 and 0x10 respectively, which is also the case in the last post.

Alex

Visitor

Hi Alex,

Thank you for response. My module work with AXI Interface now. The bresp signal returns OK.

Some bits of awprot/arprot signals to "ahblite to axi bridage 1.0.a" can not  be controlled from ahblite port. Maybe it can't be work at this version.

Explorer

Hello Alex,

Have you made your BRAM BLOCK PORTS EXTERNAL to write or read from VHDL modules??

Regards
Pruthvi
Visitor

Hi All;

I am trying to write and read back from DDR from PL via AXI_HP slave port on Zedboard. I use the code provided by xilinx for AXI master. In Chipscope I can see the data is written and read back but stragngly I am unable to see the data written by me in memory anywhere. Memory is full of garbage.

I set AWCAHE = 0010 and ARCACHE = 0010. 

Can anyboady suggest me any hint??

Thanks in advance.

Visitor

Anybody there??

Thanks