UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor bbhatt
Visitor

Accessing FIFO generator Data

Jump to solution

Hi All,

I have used AXI4 Stream Data FIFO and connected it to AXI DMA (diagram 2) to transfer data to/from the DDR in PS. I have to use FIFO Generator (diagram 1) in PL and want to access its data in a similar fashion, however, the FIFO used in my previous project was an AXI Data FIFO, hence, the connections to AXI DMA were easy to follow, could someone let me know if connecting FIFO generator IP to DMA is possible in order to access the FIFO data (looking for some guidance on how to accomplish the same).

Thanks

Tags (3)
fifo1.png
fifo2.png
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Accessing FIFO generator Data

Jump to solution

I've done this many times, and I think the easiest thing is to generate a FIFO with AXI Stream  interfaces, connect one side to the DMA controller and the other side to the PL. The AXI Stream protocol is pretty simple when you're accessing a FIFO because you can still create the programmable full and empty signals and use them for flow control on the PL side (instead of tvalid and tready). If you're writing the FIFO, you can ignore the slave tready and connect your write enable to slave tvalid. If you're reading the FIFO, you can ignore the master tvalid and connect your read enable to the master tready. Again, this is assuming that you're using the programmable full or empty for flow control. 

---

Joe Samson

3 Replies
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

I've done this many times, and I think the easiest thing is to generate a FIFO with AXI Stream  interfaces, connect one side to the DMA controller and the other side to the PL. The AXI Stream protocol is pretty simple when you're accessing a FIFO because you can still create the programmable full and empty signals and use them for flow control on the PL side (instead of tvalid and tready). If you're writing the FIFO, you can ignore the slave tready and connect your write enable to slave tvalid. If you're reading the FIFO, you can ignore the master tvalid and connect your read enable to the master tready. Again, this is assuming that you're using the programmable full or empty for flow control. 

---

Joe Samson

Visitor bbhatt
Visitor

Jump to solution
Thanks for the solution. Hence, I will have to use AXI Stream instead of Native Interface, is that understanding correct?
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

@bbhatt wrote:
Thanks for the solution. Hence, I will have to use AXI Stream instead of Native Interface, is that understanding correct?

Yes.

---

Joe

0 Kudos