UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor hubaokun
Visitor

Axi dma S2MM receive data are not all perfectly normal.

Jump to solution

Hi, anybody

It seems that I succeeded in receiving data in cycling axi dma mode. In the meanwhile, I also met some problems, because the data received are not all perfectly normal.

Here,  I send a series of data from 0 to 2047 according to the s2mm_tdata.

xilinx4.PNG

XILINX1.PNG

then , I found such a problem in the sdk memory debug window.

0x01001000 is the first buffer starting address,  the buffer length is 2048,  and 0x01003000 is next description buffer starting address.....

xilinx9.PNG

xilinx2.PNG

In the above pictures, the s2mm_data lost 5 numbers (4、5、6、7、8)  behind (0、1、2、3),and  after the last number 2047, there are 5 empty spaces...... The same situation is also suitable for the following description buffer.  Why is it?

Here is my block desgin.

xilinx5.PNG

I don't know why . Who can tell me where the problem is?   Thank you so much.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Scholar ronnywebers
Scholar

Re: Axi dma S2MM receive data are not all perfectly normal.

Jump to solution

@hubaokun, I think it's indeed unavoidable that the DMA controller takes in a few words. It has some pipelining registers at the input (and output). They just caputere the very first incoming data words until the pipeline is filled up (then TREADY goes low). 

Isn't it only your very first frame that shows strange data? Doesn't it become ok in the 2nd frame?

I remember having a similar issue, and I added an 'enable' on my incoming datastream (using a AXI GPIO pin, but you might do it with an AXI Lite reg too), to hold it off until DMA was setup completely and ready to receive data. So my datasource did not set TVALID permanently to '1', only after it was enabled, so I had time to setup my DMA.  Also I added an AXI stream fifo to have better throughput. 

I did put an ILA on the AXI stream and AXI control bus, to better understand what was happening. you can then see effectively what happens on the interface (trigger on reset, or DMA enable, ..).

** kudo if the answer was helpful. Accept as solution if your question is answered **
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Visitor hubaokun
Visitor

Jump to solution

xilinx.PNG

Maybe that's the cause of the problem. In cyclic mode, perhaps it is still impossible to avoid this case.

0 Kudos
Scholar ronnywebers
Scholar

Jump to solution

any idea why the TLAST line in your simulation window has a red color? That looks like a driving conflict ?

The axi stream that goes to your DMA, is it coming from an external source which we don't see in the block diagram?

** kudo if the answer was helpful. Accept as solution if your question is answered **
0 Kudos
Visitor hubaokun
Visitor

Jump to solution

hi, @ronnywebers

Glad to see your reply, it's a pity, there is an obvious negligence in s2mm_last(red line),  after I fixed this mistake, that's still the case .

Here , the axi stream comes from fft's index (from 0 to 2047) , in fact, the s2mm_count is also from the same  fft's index ( s2mm_tdata is just half  a cycle slower than s2mm_count by inverting the clock). 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar ronnywebers
Scholar

Jump to solution

@hubaokun, I think it's indeed unavoidable that the DMA controller takes in a few words. It has some pipelining registers at the input (and output). They just caputere the very first incoming data words until the pipeline is filled up (then TREADY goes low). 

Isn't it only your very first frame that shows strange data? Doesn't it become ok in the 2nd frame?

I remember having a similar issue, and I added an 'enable' on my incoming datastream (using a AXI GPIO pin, but you might do it with an AXI Lite reg too), to hold it off until DMA was setup completely and ready to receive data. So my datasource did not set TVALID permanently to '1', only after it was enabled, so I had time to setup my DMA.  Also I added an AXI stream fifo to have better throughput. 

I did put an ILA on the AXI stream and AXI control bus, to better understand what was happening. you can then see effectively what happens on the interface (trigger on reset, or DMA enable, ..).

0 Kudos
Visitor hubaokun
Visitor

Jump to solution

hi, @ronnywebers

Thank you so much for your advice. Yes, not only the first frame shows strange data , the following frames show the same problem. I use the axi dma in SG cyclicing mode.

I agree with your opinion, so maybe I should add an 'enable' signal  before the dma engine is set up , and the axi stream fifo is also interesting, I'll try it later. Thanks again for your support.

0 Kudos