UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

BRAM with AXI read port and regular write port

Jump to solution

Hello all,

I have a circuit that can do a basic write to a simple dual-port memory, using the simple dual-port's native interface. This works well and I'm happy with it - for various reasons I chose not to use a FIFO here.

I would like to connect this to my Microblaze processor, and  I'm wondering how to best go about that. Here are the options I thought of, I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction:

1. External slave connection + custom APIF design.

This would involve me creating a custom peripheral with a simple dual-port within, and an AXI4 slave interface, connected through the external shim on the Microblaze. I would prefer to not do this if I can...

2. Using the AXI BRAM Controller IP available in EDK, and described in Xilinx DS777 - http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/axi_bram_ctrl/v1_03_a/ds777_axi_bram_ctrl.pdf

This is intriguing, but I've never used it... Will this give me read control over a BRAM using AXI? Will I still have the native BRAM PortA/PortB for something else to write to the BRAM? If not, what is this IP actually for?

Any help on this would be really appreciated!!!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: BRAM with AXI read port and regular write port

Jump to solution

Regarding (2.): Yes, the AXI BRAM controller in EDK has two ports that connect to the dual port bram_block.  It can also be configured so that the AXI read and write channels arbitrate for one bram_block port leaving the other port available.

It sounds like this is what you want. See the datasheet for more information.

I hope this helps,

Dylan

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Regarding (2.): Yes, the AXI BRAM controller in EDK has two ports that connect to the dual port bram_block.  It can also be configured so that the AXI read and write channels arbitrate for one bram_block port leaving the other port available.

It sounds like this is what you want. See the datasheet for more information.

I hope this helps,

Dylan

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Dylan,

Thanks for your suggestion - for some reason the AutoMailer only notified me today that there was a reply - I did just as you said and the system is working.

0 Kudos
Observer mohanavels
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi,

im also facing now same problem what you have faced earlier.

now i want to use BRAM controller IP with microblaze in EDK to controll the dual port RAM read/write access in ISE.  but when i add the BRAM controller in EDK while generate netlist in EDK im facing the Error:

ERROR:EDK:4197 - SIGNAL:
   axi_bram_ctrl_0_bram_porta_2_axi_bram_ctrl_0_bram_block_porta_BRAM_Dout -
   multiple drivers found:
   PORT:BRAM_Dout_A -
   C:\Xilinx\14.1\ISE_DS\EDK\hw\XilinxProcessorIPLib\pcores\bram_block_v1_00_a\d
   ata\bram_block_v2_1_0.mpd line 89!
   PORT:BRAM_WrData_A -
   C:\Xilinx\14.1\ISE_DS\EDK\hw\XilinxProcessorIPLib\pcores\axi_bram_ctrl_v1_03_
   a\data\axi_bram_ctrl_v2_1_0.mpd line 168!
ERROR:EDK:4197 - SIGNAL:
   axi_bram_ctrl_0_bram_portb_2_axi_bram_ctrl_0_bram_block_portb_BRAM_Dout -
   multiple drivers found:
   PORT:BRAM_Dout_B -
   C:\Xilinx\14.1\ISE_DS\EDK\hw\XilinxProcessorIPLib\pcores\bram_block_v1_00_a\d
   ata\bram_block_v2_1_0.mpd line 96!
   PORT:BRAM_WrData_B -
   C:\Xilinx\14.1\ISE_DS\EDK\hw\XilinxProcessorIPLib\pcores\axi_bram_ctrl_v1_03_
   a\data\axi_bram_ctrl_v2_1_0.mpd line 175!

Running UPDATE Tcl procedures for OPTION SIMGEN_SYSLEVEL_UPDATE_PROC...
make: *** [simulation/behavioral/system_setup.tcl] Error 1
Done!

plz help me in this problem

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

This sounds very much like what I'm struggling with at the moment.   I have a custom pcore (axi slave) hanging off the AXI bus.

I added a BRAM_CTRL ip  (from the catalog)  which automatically brings a BRAM ip when added to the Microblaze system . I connected the BRAM_CTRL ip as a slave on the AXI bus.

I  want my custom pcore to drive Port B of the Block RAM. And the microblaze can share access using PORT A .  

Method 1 )   I disconnect  the BLOCK_RAM port B  from the BRAM_CTRL block so I can drive the ports direct from the custom pcore.

I make the custom pcore ports external and BRAM port B ports external.

When I try to interconnect the ports I  select the  port in the connected port column but  in the pull down list of available connections some target ports show up and some do not  ??

Method 2 )

Leave  both ports A and B connected to the BRAM_CTRL ip  and then make the BRAM_CTRL ip  PORT B ports external. I connect these to the external ports of the custom pcore. 

When I do this the connection list under External ports shows they are connected but the ports list under the connected ports tab for the BRAM_CTRL ip were removed as I connected each port ??

There is no indication the connections are made in the graphical view ?

Any help on this would be appreciated.  Please let me know which method above is correct ( if any )  and  how I can resolve this issue.   I have attached the mhs file for each method.

Thanks very much.

0 Kudos