UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer michelcharette
Observer

Can't use DDR PLL for the clock to Ethernet 1?

Hello everyone,

Q: is there any reason why the ethernet MAC (ENET1) can't use the clock generated by the DDR PLL? 

I have a design which works fine when the ENET1 uses the clock generated by the IO PLL. I'd like to reduce the power consumption by disabling the IO PLL (which would save ~110 mW). That implies that I must switch the ENET1 over to a different PLL (I selected the DDR PLL).  

I generated projects with Vivado and the only modification is the GEM1_CLK_CTRL register (at address = 0xF8000144), which selects the clock source and divisors:

1- Using IO PLL  (which generates  a 1000 MHz clock):

GEM1_CLK_CTRL = 0x1008001  (activate ref clock, src=IO PLL, 1st divisor=8, 2nd divisor=1)

--> 1000 MHz / 8 = 125 MHz, appropriate for gigabit ethernet

2-Using DDR PLL  (which generates  a 1500 MHz clock):

GEM1_CLK_CTRL = 0x1008001  (activate ref clock, src=DDR PLL, 1st divisor=12, 2nd divisor=1)

--> 1500 MHz / 12 = 125 MHz, clock should be as previous configuration

Using the DDR PLL, I can still do register access to the PHY over MDIO but I'm not receiving any packets (which works fine when using IO PLL).

Did anyone else used a similar approach to reduce the power consumption on the Zynq's?

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Observer michelcharette
Observer

Re: Can't use DDR PLL for the clock to Ethernet 1?

Correction: when using DDR PLL: GEM1_CLK_CTRL = 0x100C31 (and not 0x1008001 which is a copy-paste error)
0 Kudos