UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting PL general IO pins to Custom IP used with AXI interface on Zybo

Hullo guys, Im new to Zync SoC , I managed to make my first Custom IP and connect it to the PS through the AXI Lite bus . Now Im working on a Custom IP that would need to make use of the general purpose IOs of the PL , but it is still controlled by the PS through the same AXI interface . The Custom IP is included as a component in the AXI Lite entity , so the problem now is how to connect the IOs of the custom IP to the IOs of the PL . I have searched the internet but have not found anything similar to my problem . So I would like to know if there is any reference demo , document or video for such problem .
Thx in advance >>>>>>>  

6 Replies
Scholar hbucher
Scholar

Re: Connecting PL general IO pins to Custom IP used with AXI interface on Zybo

@algorithm_1991 The obvious answer to me is to create a new custom IP that implements a master AXI interface and connect it to the AXI interconnect. 

vitorian.com --- We do this for fun. Always give kudos. Accept as solution if your question was answered.
I will not answer to personal messages - use the forums instead.
0 Kudos

@hbucher thx for ur response man , but I do not need the master AXI , the problem is just connecting the IOs of the Custom IP to the PL IOs . Well for example consider the custom IP is a counter with reset and clock signals , and the clock will be the AXI slave clock , Reset will be a memory mapped bit in one of the AXI slave registers , the problem is to display the value of the counter (4 bit for example ) on the IOs of the PL 

0 Kudos
Scholar hbucher
Scholar

@algorithm_1991 Not sure this answers your question but you can add a GPIO or any other kind of interface when you package a new custom IP.

vitorian.com --- We do this for fun. Always give kudos. Accept as solution if your question was answered.
I will not answer to personal messages - use the forums instead.
customip.PNG
0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Hey @algorithm_1991,

If your Custom IP already has ports for those PL I/Os, then all you need to do is 'Make External'.

You can get that option either from the toolbar menu or from the context menu (right mouse button) on the respective port in the block design.

Hope this helps,

Herbert

-------------- Yes, I do this for fun!
0 Kudos

@hpoetzl Can u plz explain it in little detail ? 
I have the AXI generated IP , and I included my circuit in it as a component , and I instantiated it , so all im trying to do it to connect some an output port of the circuit to the IOs of the PL . 

0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Hey @algorithm_1991,

... all im trying to do it to connect some an output port of the circuit to the IOs of the PL.

If you are using the Block Diagram (BD) design method, then check out page 34 and 35 of UG994.

Hope this helps,

Herbert

-------------- Yes, I do this for fun!