UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Create Clock Constraint - VGA Interface

Jump to solution

Hello,

I am implementing a VGA interface on ZYBO Zynq 7000 for 1600x900 60 Hz screen, with a pixel_clk of 106.47MHz.

I am using Vivado 2014.2, with .xdc constraint file.

Please make your illustration as simple as possible.

PORT (
clk: IN STD_LOGIC; --50MHz in our board
pixel_clk: BUFFER STD_LOGIC;
-- Remaining Code

ARCHITECTURE vga OF vga IS
PROCESS (clk)
 BEGIN
 IF (clk'EVENT AND clk='1') THEN
 pixel_clk <= NOT pixel_clk;
 END IF;
 END PROCESS;

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Create Clock Constraint - VGA Interface

Jump to solution
Hi @asobeih,

Answering your pending questions.

Another thing, what is the difference between the following three .xdc commands for clock constraints? And what are the circumstances to use each of them?

set_property PACKAGE_PIN L16 [get_ports clk]
[A] This assigns the top modules IO signals in your design to the actual FPGA IO on the hardware chip.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
set_property IOSTANDARD LVCMOS33 [get_ports clk]
[A] This assigns the IO standard for the above same pin/signal/IO.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
create_clock -add -name sys_clk_pin -period 8.00 -waveform {0 4} [get_ports clk]

[A] This creates the clock constraints for the clock port. This ensures that all the paths driven by this clock meet setup and hold slack so that the design meets timing.

In case you still have queries, please check the tcl command reference guide and you will have all the answers.
Thanks,
Anirudh

PS: Please MARK this as an answer in case it helped resolve your query.Give kudos in case the post guided you to a solution.
7 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
Is there a question here?
Thanks,
Anirudh

PS: Please MARK this as an answer in case it helped resolve your query.Give kudos in case the post guided you to a solution.
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

@athandr

Sorry, I have overwritten the question while writing down the details by mistake.

Anyway, I want to know the steps to how to create the required clocks for my design using Vivado (considering the given details)

I already tried to use the Constraints Wizard and Edit Timing Constraints, but I really could not manage to do it right, and I cannot recognize the right pattern to create these clocks (like Should I create the pixel_clk as a Generated Clock or as a normal clock?

I just need to understand the while mechanism in the simplest manner.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
Any clock is fine as far as it has a good SI i.e low jitter. However I guess your question is regarding the timining constraints. What you should be worried about here is, "Is my design meeting timing for this reference clock". For this

1) You can either write a create_clock constraint and then analyze the paths analyzed by this in the timing tool
2) Or when you want to re-constrain the timing after a specific registers, you can write a create_generated_clock constraint, which does the analysis accordingly too.

You can refer the Vivado timing user guide to further understand these.
Thanks,
Anirudh

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Okay, I will refer to it and come back for any further inquiries.

Another thing, what is the difference between the following three .xdc commands for clock constraints? And what are the circumstances to use each of them?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
create_clock -add -name sys_clk_pin -period 8.00 -waveform {0 4} [get_ports clk]

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

@athandr

0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

In DocNav, take a look at UG935, which is a tutorial.

@asobeih wrote:

***Many of us who help you are just FPGA enthusiasts, and not Xilinx employees. If you receive help, and give kudos (star), you're likely to continue receiving help in the future. If you get a solution, please mark it as a solution.***
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
Hi @asobeih,

Answering your pending questions.

[A] This assigns the top modules IO signals in your design to the actual FPGA IO on the hardware chip.
[A] This assigns the IO standard for the above same pin/signal/IO.

[A] This creates the clock constraints for the clock port. This ensures that all the paths driven by this clock meet setup and hold slack so that the design meets timing.

In case you still have queries, please check the tcl command reference guide and you will have all the answers.
Thanks,
Anirudh