UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

Documentation for cores in the proc_common core library

Hi all!

Anyone know where to find information about the cores found in the proc_common library (apart from browsing the code)? My googling has come up empty.

I am trying to get to grips with a custom IP that makes extensive use of stuff like async_fifo_fg, srl_fifo_f etc. and even though each of the IPs are pretty simple, when I want to replace e.g. a synchronous FIFO with an asynchronous d.o. it would be great if there was some place to look for guidance. I hate to have to resort to IT archeology (AKA reverse engineering) when there should be documentation around...

Thanks!

/Lars

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Re: Documentation for cores in the proc_common core library

Hi again!

Not much activity from this post, maybe I should interpret this as "Do not use the proc_common core library by yourself!". I just shot myself in the foot by attempting to generate a synchronous FIFO with different data size on write and read ports by inserting a sync_fifo_fg with the following generic settings:

\proc_common_v3_00_a.sync_fifo_fg #(
     .C_FAMILY           (C_FAMILY),
     .C_DCOUNT_WIDTH     (9),
     .C_ENABLE_RLOCS     (0), // not supported in sync fifo
     .C_HAS_DCOUNT       (1),
     .C_HAS_RD_ACK       (0),
     .C_HAS_RD_ERR       (0),
     .C_HAS_WR_ACK       (0),
     .C_HAS_WR_ERR       (0),
     .C_HAS_ALMOST_FULL  (0),
     .C_MEMORY_TYPE      (1),  // 0 = distributed RAM, 1 = BRAM
     .C_PORTS_DIFFER     (0), 
     .C_RD_ACK_LOW       (0),
     .C_USE_EMBEDDED_REG (0),
     .C_READ_DATA_WIDTH  (32),
     .C_READ_DEPTH       (512),
     .C_RD_ERR_LOW       (0),
     .C_WR_ACK_LOW       (0),
     .C_WR_ERR_LOW       (0),
     .C_PRELOAD_REGS     (1),  // 1 = first word fall through
     .C_PRELOAD_LATENCY  (0),  // 0 = first word fall through
     .C_WRITE_DATA_WIDTH (8),
     .C_WRITE_DEPTH      (2048)
     )
   y_fifo_inst (
     .Clk         (clk),
     .Sinit       (frame_trig),
     .Din         (y8),
     .Wr_en       (y_write),
     .Rd_en       (y_read),
     .Dout        (y32),
     .Almost_full (),
     .Full        (y_full),
     .Empty       (y_empty),
     .Rd_ack      (),
     .Wr_ack      (),
     .Rd_err      (),
     .Wr_err      (),
     .Data_count  ()
     );

It looked OK, but throws a fatal in simulation:

# ** Fatal: (vsim-3420) Array lengths do not match. Left is 32 (31 downto 0). Right is 8 (7 downto 0). #    Time: 4545 ns  Iteration: 11  Process: /system_tb/dut/yuv444_nv12_recoder_0/yuv444_nv12_recoder_0/USER_LOGIC_I/recoder/y_fifo_inst/V6_S6_AND_LATER/I_SYNC_FIFO_BRAM/gconvfifo/inst_conv_fifo/gen_ss/fgss/gnll_dout/gbm_dout/rd_mem File: C:/dev/Xilinx/14.7/ISE_DS/ISE/vhdl/src/XilinxCoreLib/fifo_generator_v9_3.vhd

Turns out there is a local variable that in this case gets the size (7 DOWNTO 0) that is assigned to a signal of size (31 DOWNTO 0). Trying to see what CoreGen would have done in the same situation, I realized that different data widths are not supported in synchronous FIFOs, so the real culprit here is me abusing fifo_generator.

This would probably not have happened if there was some documentation, so I just bring it up to bump the thread. As for me, I guess it is back to CoreGen...

Cheers!

/Lars

P.S. And yes, I checked the asynchronous counterpart in proc_common, async_fifo_fg. Funny enough, that one has only one generic for data-width, making it impossible to configure different read and write port widths even though it is possible to configure an asynchronous FIFO in CoreGen, using the exact same fifo_generator, with this feature. D.S.

0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Re: Documentation for cores in the proc_common core library

Hi,

once i tried what you would do.. then i simply used the CoreGen functions (like fifos) and instantiated them in my custom ip

0 Kudos