UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor hr92
Visitor

Error when accessing to VDMA baseaddress

Jump to solution

Hello,

I've implemented a vivado HLS synthesised ip for image processing to my hardware design and I used VDMA to communicate with ddr. However, when I downloaded a standalone app to test my ip on the zc702 with XMD console from SDK, the app starts running normally at first but when it gets to instructions that manipulates the VDMA's Baseaddress such as :

Xil_Out32(XPAR_AXI_VDMA_0_BASEADDR, 0x00000004);

or even xil_printf("0x%08X\r\n",Xil_In32(XPAR_AXI_VDMA_0_BASEADDR));

the app gets stuck and when I use:

XMD% stop

I get the error :

ERROR: Unable to Stop Processor. System could be in unknown state.
                     Please reset the system
Unknown Error Occured

Can someone point me towards the problem?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Error when accessing to VDMA baseaddress

Jump to solution

Oh I just noticed you said you're using the xmd console. Make sure you do this before running the app:
source ps7_init.tcl
ps7_init
ps7_post_config

If you forget this, the PL will be held in reset and you'll get the behavior you're seeing. If you're using the SDK GUI, this happens automatically when you press the 'Run as' or 'Debug as' button.

www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

In my experience, this happens most often when I've tried to access the wrong address causing the bus (and thus processor) to hang. It could also happen if a peripheral/interconnect is not getting a clock or is held in reset.

Make sure XPAR_AXI_VDMA_0_BASEADDR definition in xparameters.h is what you expect and matches Vivado. If that looks fine, try writing to other peripherals on the bus. If they hang too, it's probably a clock/reset problem.

www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Oh I just noticed you said you're using the xmd console. Make sure you do this before running the app:
source ps7_init.tcl
ps7_init
ps7_post_config

If you forget this, the PL will be held in reset and you'll get the behavior you're seeing. If you're using the SDK GUI, this happens automatically when you press the 'Run as' or 'Debug as' button.

www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos