UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor jsil
Visitor

Error when debugging MicroBlaze

Jump to solution

Hi.

I'm using SDK tool in a Windows XP environment and an AVNET LXT150T Spartan-6 kit. I compiled a very basic LED set code like this:

int main()

{

init_platform();

XGpio led; // LED declaration

XGpio_Initialize(&led, XPAR_LEDS_DEVICE_ID);

XGpio_SetDataDirection(&led,0,0);

while(1)

{

XGpio_DiscreteWrite(&led,0,0x55);

}

return 0;

}

When I try to debug it the following error message comes:

14:28:18 ERROR : Unexpected error while launching program. com.xilinx.sdk.targetmanager.TMException: MicroBlaze is under RESET. Check if the Reset input to MicroBlaze and its Bus Interfaces are connected properly

UNABLE to STOP MicroBlaze

at com.xilinx.sdk.targetmanager.internal.TM.connectToProcessor(Unknown Source)

at com.xilinx.sdk.debug.core.XilinxAppLaunchConfigurationDelegate.debugApplication(Unknown Source)

Does anyone have a hint?

Thanks so much

Joao

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar austin
Scholar

Re: Error when debugging MicroBlaze

Jump to solution

j,

Just what is says:  the processor is being held in reset.  Check the logic signal driving the MicroBlaze RESET pin:  the most common mistake is that it is wired to a pushbutton on your board, and the logic sense of the pushbutton wire is inverted (1= not pushed, 0=pushed).

Easy to check, just push and hold the reset button and try starting it again.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
6 Replies
Scholar austin
Scholar

Jump to solution

j,

Just what is says:  the processor is being held in reset.  Check the logic signal driving the MicroBlaze RESET pin:  the most common mistake is that it is wired to a pushbutton on your board, and the logic sense of the pushbutton wire is inverted (1= not pushed, 0=pushed).

Easy to check, just push and hold the reset button and try starting it again.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
Visitor jsil
Visitor

Jump to solution

You were right!

Thanks so much, Austin.

Rgds

Newbie showard03

Jump to solution

I am encountering a similar issue.  I have a block design with a few ip blocks, iic, spi and a few others to use in a future design but am currently just trying to successfully execute Hello World through the uart within this project.  I have previously run the hello world microblaze project as a standalone project by following tutorials online and want to begin my new more complicated design by accomplishing something I know I can do.  I am using a microblaze based design on a vc707 dev board, however when I go to execute the hello world example project within my new design, I get the same error that was in this thread (shown below). 

"Error while launching program:
Cannot stop MicroBlaze. MicroBlaze is held in reset"

So I took your advice and traced the reset signal back to its source and held it down while executing hello world to see if the polarity was flipped.  In this case I got a slightly different error.

"Error while launching program:
Cannot stop MicroBlaze. Stalled on instruction fetch"

To see if there was an issue with the reset button itself I tested the design by simply inserting a constant into the design where the reset had been.  I got the same two error messages when I tried 0, and 1 for the reset.

I also deleted and reinserted the microblaze and clocking wizard ip blocks to see if the configuration of those ips was the issue but that also produced the same error messages (depending on whether I was holding the reset or not). 

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Steve

0 Kudos
Newbie showard03

Jump to solution

Well I figured it out.  I had the same reset signal connected to both the "processing system reset" block and "clocking wizard" but one was active high reset and the other was active low reset.  So no matter what position the reset button was in, the system would not work.  I just deleted the ip's and reinserted them with the same reset polarity and everything worked.  Hopefully this satisfies the curiosity of the three people that will ever read this post haha

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hello 

I have same problem in Vivado  2018.2 . I've checked the reset signal in my design and  the polarity is same as reset in microblaze. I got the same error that "can not stop microblaze, Microblaze is held in reset". Is there any one has this problem in Vivado 2018.2? 

warm regards

0 Kudos
Visitor glandaburu
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hallo,

"External Reset Logic Level" keeps being 0 after changing it to 1.

Guten Tag

@pedram.babakhani wrote:

Hello 

I have same problem in Vivado  2018.2 . I've checked the reset signal in my design and  the polarity is same as reset in microblaze. I got the same error that "can not stop microblaze, Microblaze is held in reset". Is there any one has this problem in Vivado 2018.2? 

warm regards

0 Kudos