UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor skorpyon1992
Visitor

FPGA Climatic - Spartan6 Cortex M0 IP - Project

Hello everyone, recently I have started to make a project for Digilent Design Contest 2014. My project is called FPGA Climatic , and the main idea of it is to replace the typical thermostate and the Air Conditioning remote control with only one control device.
  I have to mention that we are not focusing on the heating and cooling systems , so they will be represented in our project as a light bulb ( heating system ) and a PC fan ( cooling system ).   

My project idea has been implemented for about 95% percent so far.

The components I have used:
- Nexys 3 FPGA board;
- PmodTMP temperature sensor;
- A light bulb , representing the heating system;
- A pc fan , representing the cooling system;
- 2 Relays ( one for the light bulb , and one for the fan ,also one of them you won't see it because it is glued to the wooden board);
- TSOP 4838 IR receiver and a 38KHz remote control;

The project is being split in two main parts : the HDL Design ( in Verilog ) and software design ( in ANSI C and ARM Assembly language ).

In HDL design I have implemented the following:
- I have integrated the ARM Cortex M0 processor in a SoC system with AHB-Lite Peripherals;
- The top level of our SoC System was modified to suite our needs ( added interrupts for IR signal , deleted unneeded peripherals);
- Custom modules for my input and output peripherals ( ahbinputs and ahb2ctrl );
- The VGA module ( vga_console module ) was modified to allow cursor repositioning and screen clearing.
- A module for my temperature sensor ( PModTmp ). It is useful to convert and read the temperature from the sensor. This temperature is being read on 12 bits , but we only use 8 of them ( we ommited bit 11 which is the sign bit, and bits 0 , 1 and 2 which are 3 of 4 of the decimal part bits. We will show a positive temperature , with only one decimal : for example 30.0 , 21.5); This temperature is being sent to the SoC system through an 8-bit Bus;
- The temperature reading is being refreshed at each second ( I have implemented an autoreset module for this ), so it could be read in real-time;
- The IR receiver module; it decodes a received signal from the remote control; we can assign a 3 bit key-code for each key-pressed ( which will be further sent to the AHB System); also for a few pressed buttons ( such as On/OFF , A,B or C ) we will send an interrupt signal to the SoC on another wire;
- A PWM fan control module; it receives 6 bit data from the SoC ( values between 111111 and 000000 ), and it generates a correspondent clock signal (111111- 100% Duty Cycle , 100000 - 50% Duty Cycle and so on);
- On 2 wires we control the relays for the light bulb and fan;

On the software design part I have implemented the thermostat and A/C control parts:
- I handled the IR receiver interrupt with Assembly code , I have linked to a INPUT_ISR function; there we will check the key we pressed;
- If the on/off key was pressed , then we will see a menu on the screen , and we will have the oportunity to choose heating or cooling mode ;
- Otherwise ( if we didn't press the on/off key ) then our system acts as if would be shut down , so we could not choose to control the heating/cooling system;
- In cooling/or heating mode, we can choose a desired temperature with left ( decrease temperature ) and right (increase) buttons; to validate our temperature we press the O button, or if we changed our mind , and we don't want to set the thermostate/AC , we can always press the on/off button to exit to the main menu;
- If we pressed O button , then it will enter the heating/cooling process; we have 3 states for each mode. I will describe them only for the heating control:
   * the active state : we will show the current temperature and the setpoint on the screen. It will compare these , and if the current temperature is lower than the setpoint , our heating system will be turned on; otherwise it will go in the pasive state;
   * the pasive state: it compares ,in the background ,the current temperature  with the setpoint and switches to the active mode when the current temperature is lower than the setpoint with about 2 degrees;
   * the aborted state : even if we are in the active or pasive state, if we press the on/off button , the heating/cooling process will stop and it will return to the main menu;
- For the cooling process I have implemented a simple PID controller. It is used to slow down gradually our fan as we approach the current temperature to the setpoint.

A youtube link to a small demonstration :
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKyPozMnMgY

If you have any ideas or suggestions, just write back!Thanks!

1. Intro Picture.jpg
0 Kudos