UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer tish
Observer

How to use UARTLite and what is the use of AXI traffic generator?

Jump to solution

Hello! I am Tishya. Recently I have been working with Zedboard. I have been trying to implement different communication methods. In one of my projects I have included UARTLite in the block design in order to increase the baud rate above 115200 bps. Previously I used the UART 0 to print a set of letters. I connected an oscilloscope to verify the binary codes of the letters and I successfully reproduced it. I am trying to implement the same through UARTLite and I have used the PmodA pins to define the Tx and Rx. So I have a couple of questions. I would be obliged if anyone could address that.

1) What is the use of AXI traffic generator IP which has been included in the UARTLite example?

2) Do i need to include AXI traffic generator IP in the block diagram to carry out such an easy function?

3) If I include the traffic generator IP, is there any special connections to be made?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: How to use UARTLite and what is the use of AXI traffic generator?

Jump to solution

Hi @tish ,

I hope you were used xil_printf() function to send the data over uart. in this case, have you changed the default Stdin and Stdout settings to uart lite in BSP settings? if not Please change them to use uart lite interface. Please check below on how to change:

image.png

Best Regards,
Srikanth
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

5 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @tish ,

Please check my answers below:

1) What is the use of AXI traffic generator IP which has been included in the UARTLite example?

Ans: AXI Traffic Generator core generates traffic over the AXI4 and AXI4-Stream interconnect and other AXI4 peripherals in the system. It generates a wide variety of AXI transactions based on the core programming and selected mode of operation. The Purpose of AXI Traffic Generator in AXI UART lite example design is to generate the data and send it over AXI UART lite IP. 

2) Do i need to include AXI traffic generator IP in the block diagram to carry out such an easy function?

There is no need to include the AXI traffic generator. you can use AXI UART lite independently. 

3) If I include the traffic generator IP, is there any special connections to be made?

No need of Traffic generator IP.

Best Regards,
Srikanth
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Observer tish
Observer

Jump to solution

Thanks @savula  for replying. I was previously using the UARTLite IP independently. Then I launched the sdk and generated bsp and Hello world application project. I tried to print a set of letters through Y11 and AA11 pins that is the connected tx and rx pins of the UARTLite IP. But I am not able to see the corresponding binary states of the letters on the oscilloscope. Can you advice me regarding that? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @tish ,

I hope you were used xil_printf() function to send the data over uart. in this case, have you changed the default Stdin and Stdout settings to uart lite in BSP settings? if not Please change them to use uart lite interface. Please check below on how to change:

image.png

Best Regards,
Srikanth

Observer tish
Observer

Jump to solution

Thank you so much @savula . You saved my life. :)

0 Kudos
Observer tish
Observer

Jump to solution

@savula Hello again. Can you help me regarding file transfer through UART? I am planning to develop a bare metal application which includes file transfer through the UART port of the zedboard. I am using the Send and Recv functions of UART but I cannot understand how to store the file data in the board? How can I access the OCM or DDR included in the board. When I am selecting a file to be sent through the UART in which buffer does it gets sent? The fopen, fclose etc functions cannot be used explicitly in the SDK I guess?

0 Kudos