UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer reichardt
Observer

Instable audio signals on the Zedboard

Jump to solution

Hi folks,

the existing i2s_ctrl IP that interfaces the audio-codec on the ZedBoard only supports polling but no interrupts.

As a result of the polling mechanism the audio output signal will not be read and generated with exactly the same period (That's what you can see on a scope). This leads to some noise disturbances as you can clearly hear in lab6 of the "Advanced Embedded System Design Workshop using Zynq".

I first tried to use a Timer interrupt but also this did not solve the problem, probably due to the fact that the time-base of the audio interface is different from the time-base of the timer.

So the only solution I see is to add an interrupt to the is2_ctrl IP.

Could anybody solve that problem already?

Thanks in advance

Juergen

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Observer reichardt
Observer

Re: Instable audio signals on the Zedboard

Jump to solution

the problem seams to be solved: It is NOT the polling mechanism but the PLL that is used within the ADAU 1761 codec which causes the signal jitter.

The solution:

1. in the ZYNQ device configure the clock-PLL to generate 12.5MHz MCLK output (Xilinx uses 10 MHz)

2. in the i2s_audio. c driver modify the AudioPllConfig() routine:

- send 0x01 to the R0_CLOCK_CONTROL register. This disables the internal PLL of the codec and uses the MCLK with divider 256 (i.e generates 48.828kHz sample rate) also enables the core clock.

- disable sending 0xF to the R0_CLOCK_CONTROL register at the end of the routine!

Thanks to the Xilinx employees who helped me to solve that problem!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
How about issuing an interrupt from the PL when a new sample is ready from the i2s controller?
www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos
Observer reichardt
Observer

Jump to solution

... thats actually the idea. It requires that the i2s_ctrl IP needs extension for interrupt support. But - what a pitty and nobody knows why - EDK 14.4 does no longer support interrupts in the CIP-wizard (Create and Import Peripheral). So I tried the example in AR_51138 but this has an "old-style" interface to the AXI4lite (slice direction is 0 to MAX-1). A lot of code rewriting is necessary in regions where Xilinx explicitely states "DONT MODIFY".

I'm surprised that no other person noticed that problem with the audio-interface before

0 Kudos
Teacher muzaffer
Teacher

Jump to solution
are you using the axi_iic block in Vivado? that has an interrupt output. If not I am not sure what i2s_ctrl this is. Does it not have a data ready signal output? You should be able to connect it to the interrupt input of your processor directly.
- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos
Observer reichardt
Observer

Jump to solution

I'm (still) using EDK 14.4 started via PlanAhead (not yet Vivado). The i2s_ctrl IP has the task of serializing and deserializing the audio datastream from/to the audio codec. It has port interfaces like BCLK, LRCLK, SDO, SDI to the audio codec. The original IP as a status register which indicates new data available but it is my feeling that it needs an interrupt port which is driven by new data available...

0 Kudos
Observer reichardt
Observer

Jump to solution

the problem seams to be solved: It is NOT the polling mechanism but the PLL that is used within the ADAU 1761 codec which causes the signal jitter.

The solution:

1. in the ZYNQ device configure the clock-PLL to generate 12.5MHz MCLK output (Xilinx uses 10 MHz)

2. in the i2s_audio. c driver modify the AudioPllConfig() routine:

- send 0x01 to the R0_CLOCK_CONTROL register. This disables the internal PLL of the codec and uses the MCLK with divider 256 (i.e generates 48.828kHz sample rate) also enables the core clock.

- disable sending 0xF to the R0_CLOCK_CONTROL register at the end of the routine!

Thanks to the Xilinx employees who helped me to solve that problem!

0 Kudos
Visitor fpgarolf
Visitor

Jump to solution

I wonder if this will lead to valid S/PDIF frequencies. Does this work with external quipment?

0 Kudos
Newbie reg-audio

Jump to solution

Hello Everybody,

I'm currently experiencing similar problems. Disabling the codc's PLL did in fact improve the output Signal, but there are still intermodulation products visible.

Is that the result of the Base Sampling Frequency not being exactly 48kHz as the codec might expect?

As I interpret this problem, the ADAU's PLL simply doesn't work properly. Is Analog aware of that? Is there a chance for getting a replacement?

Greetings

0 Kudos