UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer agary
Observer

Is it possible to use "Hello World" doc for ZCU104?

Jump to solution

Hi all,

I recently bought a ZCU104. Now I'm trying to apply steps of this document (which is originally written for ZCU102) on my board. I want to program my board using SmartLynq programmer (via PC4 Header as JTAG connector) and use the USB micro connector for my USB-UART communication. Is it possible to do so? How?

Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Observer agary
Observer

Re: Is it possible to use "Hello World" doc for ZCU104?

Jump to solution

After reading a lot of different documents, a lot of different forum posts and etc ... I finally found the solution to my problem:

ZCU104 has only one Micro-AB USB connector (J164), so you need to use it as both JTAG and UART-USB interface at the same time. When you connect the USB to you PC it'll install/show 4 different COM ports (it's a good idea to install this as a virtual COM port driver). For me they are COM4 to COM7. So as ZCU104 Board User Guide at page 51 said:

1. The 1st COM port is channel A -> JTAG

2. The 2end is channel B -> UART0

3. The 3rd is channel C -> UART1

4. The 4th is channel D -> UART2

So as a result, if I want to see my dear "Hello World" (!) I need to set the serial connection port to COM5 (UART0) or COM6 (UART1). That's it! Now problem solved and mission accomplished ;)

P.S. I hope Xilinx Support Team start to provide more info based on ZCU104 or boards with specs other than ZCU102. Getting started with Zynq family has it's own challenges, please do not leave us among an endless sea of board-family related problems!

0 Kudos
5 Replies

Jump to solution

This should be fine. You should use the board files for the zcu104, as the ps config may be a little differently however, the overall flow should be the same as the 102.

eitherway, let us know how you get on 

0 Kudos
Observer agary
Observer

Jump to solution

Dear @stephenm,

Thanks for the reply. I tried to do so, however I'm facing a big problem during monitoring the USB-Serial step. The terminal shows endless garbage output (instead of "Hello World" as the document stated). The funny thing is, if I disconnect the SmartLynq either from my computer or the board, the terminal stops showing garbages. I think this is either because of UART misconfiguration or identical port (3121) for both connectors (PC4 Header and USB Micro). Any ideas?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Is the baud rate set correctly on your serial port?

0 Kudos
Observer agary
Observer

Jump to solution

Yes, I set the baud rate to 115200 as the doc said, however I tried other baud rates. Even I checked and changed the driver baud rate.

Do I need to change baud rate also in ZCU104 side? If yes, how?

0 Kudos
Observer agary
Observer

Jump to solution

After reading a lot of different documents, a lot of different forum posts and etc ... I finally found the solution to my problem:

ZCU104 has only one Micro-AB USB connector (J164), so you need to use it as both JTAG and UART-USB interface at the same time. When you connect the USB to you PC it'll install/show 4 different COM ports (it's a good idea to install this as a virtual COM port driver). For me they are COM4 to COM7. So as ZCU104 Board User Guide at page 51 said:

1. The 1st COM port is channel A -> JTAG

2. The 2end is channel B -> UART0

3. The 3rd is channel C -> UART1

4. The 4th is channel D -> UART2

So as a result, if I want to see my dear "Hello World" (!) I need to set the serial connection port to COM5 (UART0) or COM6 (UART1). That's it! Now problem solved and mission accomplished ;)

P.S. I hope Xilinx Support Team start to provide more info based on ZCU104 or boards with specs other than ZCU102. Getting started with Zynq family has it's own challenges, please do not leave us among an endless sea of board-family related problems!

0 Kudos