UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor rsgrimes
Visitor

MicroZed Board, AMP with (peta)Linux and FreeRTOS V9.0, using Vivado 2016.2

I am trying to get started with all of the above, but I'm afraid I am in a bit over my head. I am trying to build a system using the MicroZed board.  I want Linux running on Core0, which will communicate to a host system over Ethernet.  This core will also control the FreeRTOS-based Core1, which will control an external device, via GPIO and other means.  I found the Xilinx User Guide 978 (https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/petalinux2014_2/ug978-petalinux-zynq-amp.pdf), but it is four years old, uses Vivado 2013.3, the Xilinx XC702 board, and I cannot find the associated sources that the Guide claims exist.

I next looked at http://blog.idv-tech.com/2014/02/26/zedboard-linux-freertos-amp-board-bringup-guide/, but ran into two issues: it is based on the Zedboard, and is based on an even older app note, which doesn't include the hardware sources.

I also tried to start with a MicroZed BSP, which is why I'm using Vivado 2016.2, as that seems to be the best supported version; This seems promising, but again, I'm not sure what I am doing.

Does anyone know of some example/tutorial/skeleton project out there that gets me a working starting point?  I'm frustrated by what I have found, which seems to all be out-dated!

Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Scholar hbucher
Scholar

Re: MicroZed Board, AMP with (peta)Linux and FreeRTOS V9.0, using Vivado 2016.2

@rsgrimes

Please check out this wiki page. It has all the files for download.

http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/Multi-OS+Support+%28AMP+%26+Hypervisor%29

vitorian.com --- We do this for fun. Always give kudos. Accept as solution if your question was answered.
I will not answer to personal messages - use the forums instead.
Highlighted
Visitor rsgrimes
Visitor

@hbucher

Thanks for the pointer to that Wiki!  I had run across the Wiki itself earlier, but not that particular page.  My initial perusal of the page and the summarized approaches, it seems the OpenAMP approach (UG1186) sounds most in line with my requirements.  Would you or anyone agree, or suggest otherwise?

I'll be reading UG1186 in the next day or two, and may have additional questions; I'm looking forward to firing up Vivado and checking them out!

Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

OpenAMP is the cleanest solution. Xapp1079 is a lower level example to start the cpus in isolation and points out some of the issues that you can run into (for example sharing L2 cache).

0 Kudos