UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Voyager
Voyager

Microblaze TCP/IP

is there a reference design or guide on Microblaze bare-metal TCP/ip, i'm guessing I need lwip?

I saw this but is this only for Linux?   

"https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/axi_ethernet/v7_1/pg138-axi-ethernet.pdf"

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Scholar hbucher
Scholar

Re: Microblaze TCP/IP

@s002wjhw There is (1) design and (2) software pieces to this.

As for (1) the usual solution is to get your board ethernet exposed as an AXI stream interface somehow. This will depend on what hardware you have. In the simplest case, it involves rigging your board's GMII/RGMII interface to the tri-mode ethernet Vivado component

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/tri_mode_ethernet_mac/v9_0/pg051-tri-mode-eth-mac.pdf

Of course, for 10G there are other components and for Ultrascale+ devices, there is the 10G/25G component.

Regarding (2), you can go with SDK lwip echo server, which comes standard. The standalone example supports Marvell, TI and the 10G interfaces on Xilinx boards (ZC702, ZC706, ZCU102, etc). Other than that you need to supply your own (or the supplier's) device drivers. 

vitorian.com --- We do this for fun. Always give kudos. Accept as solution if your question was answered.
I will not answer to personal messages - use the forums instead.
0 Kudos

0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

I look the xapp1026, but my firmware/hardware is using pg138 AXI Ethernet subsystem v7.1 seem like this is was used in Linux, but if I want bare-metal, is there example design base on above hardware? if not what is the simplist form of TCP/IP w/Microblaze (app1026 or others)?

I'm not fluent in software so prefer something like Lwip I can drop in.
0 Kudos

xapp1026 uses bare metal for raw mode LwIP
You can try the example drsigns
0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

any software example base on AXI Ethernet subsystem?,  the xapp1026 use axi Ethernet lite, don't think I can use tri-pcs etc for it.

0 Kudos
Scholar hbucher
Scholar

@s002wjhw

XAPP 1307 uses 1G/10G Ethernet subsystem

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/application_notes/xapp1307-1g-10g-switching.pdf

It exposes an AXI stream interface, so you only need to add a DMA engine to pipe it into memory and then use Microblaze to set up interrupts/polling, for which there are plenty of examples in the SDK.

vitorian.com --- We do this for fun. Always give kudos. Accept as solution if your question was answered.
0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Ok thanks, base on pg138, my firmware already has DMA connect to AXI controller->BRAM

My understand I only need bare-metal DMA code to access bram and get data from AXI Ethernet.   Untitled.jpg

0 Kudos
Scholar hbucher
Scholar

@s002wjhw Well you **usually** need to initialize/configure the ethernet - see the LWIP example in SDK. But apart from that, yes, you just need to configure the DMA component.

0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

i'm assuming base on pg138 I need use DMA in SG mode either interrupt/polling?  Can I use DMA in simple polling that's connect to axi Ethernet?  

0 Kudos
Scholar hbucher
Scholar

@s002wjhw Sure why not. You might miss packets in between the function return and the next call though.

0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

I was looking at xapp1026 notice the kc705 has axi dma and axi Ethernet basically similar to pg138. but it also has the software,

my question is in the doc it mention repository stack for "For MicroBlaze-based systems, it also has repository folder for lwIP 1.4.1 stack for the Artix-7 and Kintex-7" do I need this if so where can I get the vivado2017.2 verision or its already in SDK.

does microblaze lwip tcp/ip need xilkernel(or its just another word for standalone BSP?) for it to work? or not

0 Kudos
Scholar hbucher
Scholar

@s002wjhw LWIP is provided with the SDK. You just have to enable it on your BSP settings.

0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

"I'm not fluent in software so prefer something like Lwip I can drop in"

Lwip is a software library not a magic wand. It allegedly allows developers to write less code at a higher level but with the added risk of having a big thing they haven't developed, they don't understand and they won't have the time, resources, skills and experience to dig into it and fix it if necessary. And even with minimal complexity software projects requiring minimal robustness and quality of delivery, bugs are highly probable to happen.

My advice for someone who is not fluent in software is either avoid it or get surrounded by people who is.

0 Kudos
Scholar hbucher
Scholar

Are you okay buddy? Quite angry reaction there. Be well.

0 Kudos