UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor begleysm
Visitor

Microblaze as a component in a non-ISE, XST workflow, EDK 10.1, design

Jump to solution

Hello everyone,

I am trying to put a microblaze in a system that does not use ISE.  This system is built on a Wildstar4 board by Annapolis Microsystems.  It's a big honker with 4 Virtex4 FPGAs on it.  AMS (Annapolis Micro Systems) has come up with a whole VHDL board support package so ISE is out of the question.  The build workflow that I am using is XST from the command line.

So far, I've used EDK to create a microblaze and use "Hardware" -> "Generate Netlist" to create all the NGC files.

I've instantiated the microblaze into my FPGA design and attempted to build the project.  I get a a couple errors (multiplied many times because I am using 2 32-bit GPIOs).  These errors appear to be related to IO-Buffers.  I believe the Microblaze is assuming it will be talking to external parts.  Therefore it is assuming it has to create IOBUFs when it probably shouldn't.

I am told that older versions of EDK had an option under "Project" -> "Project Options" -> "Hierarchy and Flow" that allowed to you specify that your microblaze would be used as a component and not as a top level.  How can I achieve using the 10.1 tools?

I've attached the .bld showing the errors and my .vhd that instantiates the microblaze.

Thanks,

Sean

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Visitor begleysm
Visitor

Re: Microblaze as a component in a non-ISE, XST workflow, EDK 10.1, design

Jump to solution

I have managed to solve this problem with some help from the Xilinx WebCase Support Team.

Here is a link to a post where I detail how to put a Microblaze into a command line workflow project.

http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/EDK-and-Platform-Studio/HOWTO-How-to-use-an-EDK-Microblaze-with-a-non-ISE-command-line/m-p/70994

Hope someone can use this!

Sean

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi Sean,

Try to open your xmp file and modify the line:

InsertNoPads: 0

to

InsertNoPads: 1

to generate the microblaze system with no io pads.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor begleysm
Visitor

Jump to solution

I have managed to solve this problem with some help from the Xilinx WebCase Support Team.

Here is a link to a post where I detail how to put a Microblaze into a command line workflow project.

http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/EDK-and-Platform-Studio/HOWTO-How-to-use-an-EDK-Microblaze-with-a-non-ISE-command-line/m-p/70994

Hope someone can use this!

Sean

0 Kudos