UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

Microblaze resets continuously

Jump to solution

Hello,

I am working with Microblaze 8.50c on SDK&ISE 14.7. My problem is that my application gets reset continuously after I start it. I start the application, it runs for 30 seconds approx. and then it restarts. I set up another application (a Hello Word from my DDR) to make sure that my hardware is OK. Everything is fine there. So I doubt my software is the problem. Do you have any ideas on where I can start to look? What can cause Microblaze to get resetted like this?

Thanks,

Berk 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Re: Microblaze resets continuously

Jump to solution

The problem was that I had implemented an assertion through a "printf", but had no heap memory available in my system. Adding some heap in the linker script solved the issue.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Scholar stephenm
Scholar

Jump to solution
0 Kudos
Instructor
Instructor

Jump to solution

When you say it restarts, do you mean from scratch?  i.e. back to the bootloader?  If so you could have a hardware reset or power issue.  If you're not sure, you could add a print statement in the bootloader so you can tell if it gets run again.

-- Gabor
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Actually it is a soft reset. Because I have a timestamp in the print and when it restarts, it does not start from 0 again. It just continues from the time it left. And these time units, I hold in a register in my hardware. Therefore I assume that the .elf gets relaunched. But why can this be?

Thank you for your answers. Could you elaborate a little more on how I can check if I have a stack overflow? Are there any other general known issues which can lead to a elf relaunch or mb reset?

0 Kudos
Scholar stephenm
Scholar

Jump to solution
Debug the application in SDK, and step through the code and monitor the pc and stack to see if you can see if the issue you are seeing is related to the AR. Or, just flush the cache at the beginning of the app ( see the hello world app as reference)
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

The problem was that I had implemented an assertion through a "printf", but had no heap memory available in my system. Adding some heap in the linker script solved the issue.

0 Kudos