UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PS hangs when loading PL

I have the same problem as described here: https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Embedded-Processor-System-Design/Loading-any-bitfile-causes-PS-to-stall/m-p/794917#M20655

however including the zynq ultrascale in my block design does not seem to solve the problem. I have a simple rtl block which only toggles a led on the PL and vanilla petalinux on the PS and the PS just refuses to boot when I put the PL in the BIN file and boot from sd card. It stalls after loading PMU. When I remove the PL part from the bif file and regenerate the BIN it boots perfectly.

I also tried adding a couple of AXI things connected to the zynq but that just results in the same problem. Does anybody have any ideas to solve this?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Voyager
Voyager

Re: PS hangs when loading PL

What happens when you ram that .BIT file (that you're trying to include in your boot image) into the PL using Hardware Manager? Does HM complain?

What do you mean "including the zynq ultrascale in my block design does not seem to solve the problem"? Do you ordinarily have a block diagram that doesn't interact with the PS--at all?  Can you post your block diagram?

-Joe G.

0 Kudos

when I do it through the hardware manager it doesnt complain but the same thing happens. As soon as the bitfile is loaded the PS just freezes, but the PL works fine.

I meant that most threads I found solved this exact problem by including the zynq in the block diagram. But that doesnt solve it for me.

I eventually worked around it by seperating the bit file from the BOOT.bin and have u-boot load it seperately from the SD. But it seems to be that it should also be possible to load directily from BOOT.bin

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Voyager
Voyager

Interesting...

• Hardware manager loads it fine, so there's no inherent problem with the generated bitfile.
  • If you simply don't program the bitfile with the FSBL, the stall (during or after PMU) doesn't occur
  • Programming the bitfile in U-boot leads to a working system

So your system does have a Zynq MP in it--you're running Linux on it, it seems--that wasn't included in the original HDF.

Did you re-generate the PMU SW after you included (and configured) the Zynq MP in the block diagram?

-Joe G.

0 Kudos