UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

PicoBlaze 3, can I run it on Basys 3 (with 100 Mhz) ?

Jump to solution

I used to run PicoBlaze3 on Spartan3E board which had a 50Mhz clock.

Now I am trying to run it on Basys3 which is Artix with 100 Mhz but after I progream it to the FPGA, nothing runs.

Is there a probelm with running PicoBlaze3 on 100Mhz?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Re: PicoBlaze 3, can I run it on Basys 3 (with 100 Mhz) ?

Jump to solution

Your problem is not Picoblaze , but as you say your using Vivado, which is a very very different tool.

We wont get into the which is better discusion. I'm soory but, Vivado is going to be a big step from ISE, especialy an old ISE.

I'd strongly suggest that you work your way through a few Vivado tutorials, to learn the basisc of pin placment and timming constraints, and the tool fundamentals. Its much more designed for ASIC levle working than the ISE was,  so small jobs seem to require an amazing amoutn of stuff that ISE just did for you , and was just fine for the small jobs.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Jump to solution
Have you re compile the HDL for the new chip and board ?
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Yes, I just put in the setting of the Vivado project the board Basys3

As I mentioned, Simulation with Test bench works well, the problem is only when I try to

program the FPGA.

I am using an old assmbler with Windows 10, this assembler uses the RAM_1024x18 block

I enclose the VHD file produced by the assembler of the PicoBlaze3 although I dont think this is the problem,

by the way, I noitced soething different in the Vivado compared to the ISE (on the ISE and Spartan3E everything works well): the Vivado synthesis schematic puts the synthesized code which was outside the KSPSM3.vhd (for instance address decoding which I wrote usig a process) inside the block of the KCPSM3

rather than leaving it to be "glue logic" outside the block of the processor. Strange.

Screenshot from 2019-04-28 20-17-08.png
0 Kudos
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Jump to solution
you say "As I mentioned, Simulation with Test bench works well
sorry can't see that here.
so does it meet timing ? what are the warnings ?

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Testbench works well, that's why I didnt place it here.

There are some warnings: I am not sure what they mean and if they are the reason (I attach the XDC file here)

[Power 33-232] No user defined clocks were found in the design!
Resolution: Please specify clocks using create_clock/create_generated_clock for sequential elements. For pure combinatorial circuits, please specify a virtual clock, otherwise the vectorless estimation might be inaccurate

[Timing 38-313] There are no user specified timing constraints. Timing constraints are needed for proper timing analysis.

[DRC CFGBVS-1] Missing CFGBVS and CONFIG_VOLTAGE Design Properties: Neither the CFGBVS nor CONFIG_VOLTAGE voltage property is set in the current_design. Configuration bank voltage select (CFGBVS) must be set to VCCO or GND, and CONFIG_VOLTAGE must be set to the correct configuration voltage, in order to determine the I/O voltage support for the pins in bank 0. It is suggested to specify these either using the 'Edit Device Properties' function in the GUI or directly in the XDC file using the following syntax:

set_property CFGBVS value1 [current_design]
#where value1 is either VCCO or GND

set_property CONFIG_VOLTAGE value2 [current_design]
#where value2 is the voltage provided to configuration bank 0

Refer to the device configuration user guide for more information.

0 Kudos
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Jump to solution
if there are no timing constraints, its impossible to say will the design work at a given speed. You need timing constraints in Vivado

Have you set the pin constraints for the board you have ?

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Yes the xdc i attached before is for this board

This bkard has is artix based fpga

What timing constraint would i need for the picoblaze. Can you send me the constraints you use for picoblaze3?

0 Kudos
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Jump to solution
timing is part of vivado,
and I'm wondering , how are you with vivado ?
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

I am a beginner with the vivado. I was using the ISE for 10 years ,.also with the picoblaze. And now I take the exact same design which involves the picoblaze and was working in the ISE with an even slower device, Spartan 3e. So that's why I am wondering if it could be a timing issue because as I said I am trying it on the basys 3 , i.,e. faster device

Can you refer me to your picoblaze design xdc that makes onthe picoblaze run on vivado?

0 Kudos
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Jump to solution

Your problem is not Picoblaze , but as you say your using Vivado, which is a very very different tool.

We wont get into the which is better discusion. I'm soory but, Vivado is going to be a big step from ISE, especialy an old ISE.

I'd strongly suggest that you work your way through a few Vivado tutorials, to learn the basisc of pin placment and timming constraints, and the tool fundamentals. Its much more designed for ASIC levle working than the ISE was,  so small jobs seem to require an amazing amoutn of stuff that ISE just did for you , and was just fine for the small jobs.

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Actually, the problem is PicoBlaze.

I solved the problem as follows:

Instead of PicoBlaze3 I now use PicoBlaze6 and I set the generic parameter

C_FAMILY => "7S"

in the file where I use the component that contains the machine code generated by the assembler.

This solves the problem. No need to do any "Timing constraints" nor run the Constraint Wizard.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

I pressed "Accept as solution" in the wrong place

This is the solution

Actually, the problem is PicoBlaze.

I solved the problem as follows:

Instead of PicoBlaze3 I now use PicoBlaze6 and I set the generic parameter

C_FAMILY => "7S"

in the file where I use the component that contains the machine code generated by the assembler.

This solves the problem. No need to do any "Timing constraints" nor run the Constraint Wizard.