UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor praveensanap
Visitor

Power architecture for a Zynq based board

Im developing a general purpose development board based on Zynq.

Breifly it has 4 High Speed ADCs, 2 High Speed DACs, 8 PGAs, 1 Precision DAC, USB PHY, GBE PHY.

Im working on Power Artitecture Design for this board. I took help of TI's Webench. But I think its not optimal and it provide way too many Switching Power Supplies and Regulators.

My doubt is can i have very few power planes in my PCB design that is driven by sam Switching Power Supply/ LDO and give it to different devices requiring the same voltage level. I've read the datasheet of all the devices as well as Zynq PCB design guide. But didnt find anything about it. 

Can I do that at all OR what are the design consideration if I choose to do it. Please suggest the reading material on this part of Circuit design or PCB design.

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Observer will.platts
Observer

Re: Power architecture for a Zynq based board

Read DS187 (http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/data_sheets/ds187-XC7Z010-XC7Z020-Data-Sheet.pdf) for specifications on the different supplies.

Read UG933 (http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/user_guides/ug933-Zynq-7000-PCB.pdf) for details on the power system and other PCB issue. Particularly Chapter 3 and 5.

A minimal power supply system might be:

1V for VCCINT/VCCPINT/VCCBRAM (these can share the rail)

1V8 for VCCAUX/VCCPAUX/VCCPLL/VCCADC

then VCCO_DDR depends on memory chosen (e.g. I have used 1V35 for DDR3L but DDR2 could potentially use the 1V8 rail)

and IO banks depending on what external devices you need to interface to (e.g. I have some 3V3 banks)

Will

0 Kudos
Visitor praveensanap
Visitor

Thank you for the reply.

Ive refered both the documents. But it doesnt talk about my doubt.

My doubt is as follows. ZYNQ VCC_AUX VCC_PAUX VCC_PLL requires 1.8V. Now the PCB guides suggest how to use same power plane for all these supplies.

I use a Power Regulator to drive that plane

But the USB PHY also needs 1.8V supply. Can I connect these requirements to the same plane as the previous?

0 Kudos
Observer will.platts
Observer

I'm not a Zynq expert, but I think this should be fine.

DS187 p5:

If VCCPAUX, VCCPLL, and the PS VCCO supplies (VCCO_MIO0, VCCO_MIO1, and VCCO_DDR) have the same recommended voltage levels, then they can be powered by the same supply and ramped simultaneously. Xilinx recommends powering VCCPLL with the same supply as VCCPAUX, with an optional ferrite bead filter.

0 Kudos