UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor workingonit
Visitor

Purpose of using Zynq7 processing system

Jump to solution

Deal Xilinx fans,

What does the zynq7 processing system do when we integrate it to our BD, what is the purpose of it? I already read the doc but it's not clear to me. If my understanding is correct, the ZYNQ7 processing system connects the PL and PS part of the zynq7000 SoC, but this means that we always use the Zynq processing system 7 we deal with Zynq SoCs? which is not true.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Visitor dror
Visitor

Re: Purpose of using Zynq7 processing system

Jump to solution
the only reason to use Zynq is because of it Processing System (ARM).
if you are not using it then u have bought a very expensive FPGA with no reason. the ARM is very expensive and it is taking a large amount of the FPGA area.
when you integrate it to the BD then it is like any other IP, you use it. that mean that you have a processor in the FPGA and you can use all the abilities and peripheral like the PS DDR, USB ext.
as it was mentioned by u4223374, this is the PS, and when u use it in the BD all the connection that you see is from the PS to the PL (Programmable Logic = FPGA).
5 Replies
Highlighted
Scholar dpaul24
Scholar

Jump to solution

@workingonit,

The short anaswer is that you have a pre-verified embedded processor core which is able to perform tasks specified using C code.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FPGA enthusiast!
All PMs will be ignored
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jump to solution

Hi @workingonit 

In your BD, the Zynq Processing System represents your PS part. Even if you do not add it to your BD, it will be present on the device as this is a hard IP.

The reasons why you would add it to the BD:

• This is the way you can configure it. This configuration will be then transmitted to SDK through the HDF file.
  • This represent your interface to the PL

You do not need to use it in your BD as you wouldn't need to use it. But in most cases you will use it, because you can get the clocks from it.

Hope that clarifies

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Jump to solution

@workingonit wrote:

Deal Xilinx fans,

What does the zynq7 processing system do when we integrate it to our BD, what is the purpose of it? I already read the doc but it's not clear to me. If my understanding is correct, the ZYNQ7 processing system connects the PL and PS part of the zynq7000 SoC, but this means that we always use the Zynq processing system 7 we deal with Zynq SoCs? which is not true.

The ZYNQ7 Processing System is the PS. That's what PS stands for.

As far as I know, it's not possible to use the Zynq without some minimum level of involvement by the PS, as the PS loads the PL during the intial boot stages.

Scholar dpaul24
Scholar

Jump to solution

@workingonit,

If my understanding is correct, the ZYNQ7 processing system connects the PL and PS part of the zynq7000 SoC, but this means that we always use the Zynq processing system 7 we deal with Zynq SoCs? which is not true.

I have a Zybo Z7-10 dev board and as a start project I wrote down some VHDL to blink on-baord LEDs. No PS involved, only PL.

Then later I did a HDMI pass through project, using only IP cores from Digilent and a top level VHDL wrapper, which again involves only the PL.

Conclusion - As far as I know, you can use the PL independently of the PS.

FPGA enthusiast!
All PMs will be ignored
0 Kudos
Visitor dror
Visitor

Jump to solution
the only reason to use Zynq is because of it Processing System (ARM).
if you are not using it then u have bought a very expensive FPGA with no reason. the ARM is very expensive and it is taking a large amount of the FPGA area.
when you integrate it to the BD then it is like any other IP, you use it. that mean that you have a processor in the FPGA and you can use all the abilities and peripheral like the PS DDR, USB ext.
as it was mentioned by u4223374, this is the PS, and when u use it in the BD all the connection that you see is from the PS to the PL (Programmable Logic = FPGA).