UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer mnanoop2014
Observer

Regarding reading/writing to registers on AXI lite bus

EDIT: I am able to read and write to registers hanging on the mmi64_axi bus when I use the same clock as the processor is running on (100MHz). When everything else is same except I use a generated clock of 8Mhz, and a push button Reset, the system doesn't work. I can provide more information if needed. Any idea where I might be going wrong with this one?

I have the following setup in Vivado IPI:

I want to read and write to the registers of the AXI port I've made external through baremetal apps first and then through linux. I know the address map of it through Address Editor. How should I go about with it? I tried looking for xilinx header files for functions to read and write. I am not able to find it. Any help is appreciatedScreenshot from 2019-01-08 11-08-01.png

More info: clk_out1 is 8 MHz. I tried accessing the registers through __raw_readl in linux kernel module, but the board's linux system just hangs and I've to reboot the board again.

I can provide more information 

0 Kudos
10 Replies

Re: Regarding reading/writing to registers on AXI lite bus

Hi @mnanoop2014,

From the linux userspace, you can use devmem to access the physical memory of your device.

Hope that helps,

Regards

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**

I dont think there is a register space for the AXI clock Converter. The config is done in the HW in the IPI design

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

For bare-metal software, you can use the IO functions defined in xil_io.h.

Ted Booth - Sr. FPGA Design Engineer
www.designlinxhs.com
Observer mnanoop2014
Observer

Yes thank you. I tried functions under "xil_io.h" to try to access the registers successfully. I am unable to read and write to registers when I use a separate clock and reset to drive my axi peripheral. Any idea why that might be so?
Thanks
0 Kudos

Hi @mnanoop2014,

Are you sure your other clock is up? And the polarity of the reset signal is correct?

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos
Observer mnanoop2014
Observer

Yes, I have verified the clock by feeding it to a 32 bit counter and connecting the 28th bit or something to an led. I have tried with both active high and active low. Neither of those changes alone works.
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Have you tried this technique at all to see if your AXI-lite slave works in the first place?

Dan

0 Kudos
Observer mnanoop2014
Observer

Hi Dan, 

I have tried a similar simple example, but with the processor clock as the clock feeding my peripheral. Now, however, I am trying to use a smaller 8 MHz clock and push-button reset. I am not sure where I am going wrong. Any suggestions or clues?

I will also look into the link you sent meanwhile.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Are you following these AXI-Lite clock requirements from UG902?

• AXI4-Lite interface clock must be synchronous to the clock used for the synthesized logic (ap_clk). That is, both clocks must be derived from the same master generator clock.

• AXI4-Lite interface clock frequency must be equal to or less than the frequency of the clock used for the synthesized logic (ap_clk).

I've had issues with the AXI-Lite interfaces on HLS cores when I didn't follow those requirements.

Ted Booth - Sr. FPGA Design Engineer
www.designlinxhs.com
Observer mnanoop2014
Observer

Hi @tedbooth
The AXI based port (mmi64_axi in the diagram) uses a clock derived from an external source (noc_clk) and the same clock (noc_clk) is used for the logic inside it.
However, there is also a clock converter used as shown in the figure.
Do you mean I have to derive the clock for the AXI interface from (pl_clk0)?
0 Kudos