UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

SEMIP + PS (ARM) at Zynq

Jump to solution

Hello I'm stuck with something

I'm using a Zedboard (Zynq) and I want to use SEMIP + a softcore which uses ARM. It is loaded by SDCARD using the boot.bin image (bitstream with the softcore + SEM, FSBL and u-boot are inside).

As said in this post https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Zynq-All-Programmable-SoC/SEM-IP-Zynq-Devices/m-p/593017#M7019 I've made a program that clears PCAP in order to use SEM IP.

So I do the following:

1) Boot from sdcard and launch the ARM using the image (boot.bin) and login at zynq root. The softcore is running as well as ARM on the arm-linux.

2) Open Xilinx SDK and launch the program which clears the PCAP registry.

3) Because of 2) the arm-linux freezes and I can't do anything because it seems that ARM needs the PCAP.

Is there a possibility to allow the PS (ARM) use the PCAP as well as the SEM IP the ICAP?

To sum up: Is there any way to use the PS(ARM) as well as the SEM IP (PL)?

Thank you in advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar austin
Scholar

Re: SEMIP + PS (ARM) at Zynq

Jump to solution

a,

Yes.  But you will need to request help from a Xilinx FAE, or your distributor FAE.

As you note, running the Xilinx demo Linux, and using the SEM IP collide and fail as they both wish to use the ICAP/PCAP.  The Linux build uses PCAP so one can downlod bitstreams from the PS ro the PL, so I suspect that device driver is unhappy when the PCAP releases the ICAP back to the PL control.

Of course, all it takes is a bit more logic, and a little bit of software to allow the PCAP/ICAP to be able to switch back and forth, but I am unaware of any Xilinx IP that performs that function (it is on the long list of things to do).

I would be interested to know what the use model is, and how large your targeted market is.  If there was a good reason (i.e. money) to do it, it would get bumped up to a higher priority.

For example, the automotive business uses SEMIP in Zynq, but they do not use our Linux build.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
1 Reply
Scholar austin
Scholar

Re: SEMIP + PS (ARM) at Zynq

Jump to solution

a,

Yes.  But you will need to request help from a Xilinx FAE, or your distributor FAE.

As you note, running the Xilinx demo Linux, and using the SEM IP collide and fail as they both wish to use the ICAP/PCAP.  The Linux build uses PCAP so one can downlod bitstreams from the PS ro the PL, so I suspect that device driver is unhappy when the PCAP releases the ICAP back to the PL control.

Of course, all it takes is a bit more logic, and a little bit of software to allow the PCAP/ICAP to be able to switch back and forth, but I am unaware of any Xilinx IP that performs that function (it is on the long list of things to do).

I would be interested to know what the use model is, and how large your targeted market is.  If there was a good reason (i.e. money) to do it, it would get bumped up to a higher priority.

For example, the automotive business uses SEMIP in Zynq, but they do not use our Linux build.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose