UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Voyager
Voyager

Software drivers for AXI IPs embedded into a packaged IP

Hi folks,

I'm using Vivado 2016.4 on Win10-64. I have a custom IP A (salmon) that is a BD of custom IPs B (blue) and C (yellow) as shown below. IP B is embedding a custom (RTL) register file block, 2x AXI VDMAs and 1x AXI DMA. IP C only has a register file. All AXILite ports are merged into a single port using embedded AXI Interconnects.

IP B and C are built from RTL and XCI. IP A is a BD of AXI Interconnect, B and C.

All of this is implementing OK. I can see all 5 memory blocks listed in the top-level BD that is instantiating IP A, but when the hardware handoff file is exported, the VDMA and DMA software drivers are not generated by the SDK BSP.

IPStructure.png

Once exported to the SDK, the generated BSP (either baremetal or Linux) is NOT including the VDMA and DMA drivers. Instead, all I see is a generic empty driver for the whole A IP. It's like the SDK is expecting me to provide a monolithic driver for the whole IP. But I would MUCH prefer to simply use the Xilinx VDMA and DMA drivers. The register files are just memory mapped and need no driver.

Is there a way to make the IP Package tool include "instructions (ie set properties)" such that the SDK uses the standard Xilinx drivers instead of expecting some IP-specific driver that I really don't want to provide?

Cheers,

Claude

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Visitor arizzo35
Visitor

Re: Software drivers for AXI IPs embedded into a packaged IP

Hello, did you find a solution to this? I'm dealing with a very similar issue, it seems that packaging an IP which contains an AXI IP then using it in a top-level design does not import the drivers properly for the sub-cores.
0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Hi,

No. When subcore IPs are embeddded into a larger packaged IP, Vivado and the SDK expects a driver for the whole thing. Drivers for the subcore IPs will not be generated.

Although I never tried it, you could possibly build your own driver using the files from the subcore IPs. They are all in $SDK_INSTALL/data/embeddedsw/XilinxProcessorIPLib/drivers

On my side, because I was tight on schedule, I pulled-out all the subcore IP out of my big IP, such than the tool generates the drivers.

Hopefully Xilinx will come up with something some day...

Claude

0 Kudos
Visitor arizzo35
Visitor

Thanks for your reply...I have a packaged IP with multiple subcore IPs, some are Xilinx IPs and some are IPs created using HLS. It would be nice if the packaged IP automatically included all drivers when the packaged IP is used in a higher level design, but it seems like this isn't supported.
0 Kudos