UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor bura2801
Visitor

Spartant-6 Microblaze : Max frequency ?

I'm currently using a Spartan-6 with embedded VHDL modules. I want to include a Microblaze to my VHDL Top module. The FPGA is running at 100 Mhz. When creating a Microblaze with BSB wizard in XPS,  i put the referencing clock to 100Mhz, and i only have the choice of system clock up to 90 Mhz.

Can my Microblaze process to 100 Mhz ?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Spartant-6 Microblaze : Max frequency ?

Hi,

It might, depends on configuration and speedfile on your Spartan6 device.

Also if the device is starting to full or not.

BSB is not the only way to create systems in EDK. 

It will create starting points for your designs.

If the BSB only allows 90 MHz in might be due to many other reasons than MicroBlaze maximum frequency.

It will not analyze MicroBlaze configuration and decide what frequency is possible.

It has a number of fixed frequencies for each board.

Göran

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

I've also created a Spartan 6 design where I wanted the Microblaze to run faster than what the wizard allowed. I created my design with the maximum frequency allowed (100MHz) and then changed the clock generator frequency to the frequency I wanted - whether your design then meets timing after that depends on all the other modules attached I guess. I managed to get the system to run at 125MHz.

0 Kudos
Newbie linknum23

According to this site (http://www.xilinx.com/tools/microblaze.htm) ,on the spartan 6 architecture the microblaze is capable of 166DMIPS at 1.38 DMIPs/MHz. So 166/1.38=120.2Mhz. That seems to be the maximum frequency. The page assumes the microblaze is configured as Performance Optimized MicroBlaze with branch optimizations 5-stage pipeline) DMIPs/MHz.

0 Kudos