UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UartLite use without SDK

Hi, I want to use uartlite without SDK.
I just want to send data from my computer to FPGA and then send it back to my computer.

I looked everywhere over the internet, whoever talks about uartlite is using it via SDK. I am really frustrated. 

I just want to make loopback using uartlite. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

[ I was able to transmit from FPGA a single character over and over again by tying some signals to a fixed value, but I couldn't receive anything from a computer to FPGA. I have run other examples which involves UARTlite and SDK and MicroBlaze processor everything works fine so UART connection with my computer is working normally]

Thank you so much.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Observer mattwaltz
Observer

Re: UartLite use without SDK

If you don't want to use the UartLite with a processor interface, you will need to write a custom HDL implementation to communicate with the AXI Lite interface. The real question is why don't you want to use software?

0 Kudos

Hi t.dholariya@gmail.com,

Not sure why you dont want to use SDK workspace and example Xilinx provide.

You can try using AXI UartLite example in vivado and go through RTL testbench.

Based on that you may want to control from RTL.

Regards

Praveen

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos

Hi, Thank you for your inputs,

@pvenugo I will definitely check out RTL examples of UartLite, (I  think they are in VHDL)

And, @mattwaltz,

My project is to just receive some data via UART from PC to FPGA and then do some  process and send that data back to PC via UART, and 

that processing of the data I want to design a hardware ip, not using  microblaze processor and c program, if that make sense.

I am having difficulty in designing simple program which would read data from AXIUartLite and send the same data back through that ip.

I am able to send same data over and over by tying [ wdata, awaddr, awvalid, wvalid] to some constant value.
But "reading channels" of AXI UartLite, they don't seem to work as they supposed to work.

Thank you

Tarun

0 Kudos