UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

VIvado 2014.1: How to update user custom IP from repository

Accepted Solution Solved
Adventurer
Accepted Solution

VIvado 2014.1: How to update user custom IP from repository

I have created a custom IP in IP repository.  Then I instantiated the IP into a block design.  After that, I made some changes to the IP's HDL files in the repository.

How do I get Vivado to update its local copy of the IP from the repository again?

Neo 

Accepted Solutions

Re: VIvado 2014.1: How to update user custom IP from repository

Right click on "design_1" block design and click on "reset output procucts" followed by "generate output products".

Thanks.

Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)

View solution in original post

All Replies

[ Edited ]

Dear Neo,

Refresh the IP repository and regenerate the IP output products. Check if the HDL changes are replicated in IP sources.

Capture.PNG

Another way of editing the user IP is right click on the user IP in block design and select "Edit in IP Packager". This opens IP Packager project, make HDL changes and repackage IP. This closes the IP Packager project and the original project will be updated automatically.

Thanks,

Deepika.

Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)
Administrator

Next Review and Package the IP, by clicking on the Re-Package Button.In the project, Reset Output Products, and Re-Generate Output Products, and Generate the Top level HDL wrapper.(Attached screenshot)

Hope this helps.

Regards

Sikta

Adventurer

Hi,

I followed your instructions and it generated new HDL files within my project.

However, it seems the previous version HDL files are retained.  Vivado copies my_custom_ip's HDL files from repository into project's local directory, under a randomly generated folder name.  The path is like this: 

/project_name/project_name.srcs/sources_1/ipshared/xilinx.com/my_custom_ip_v1_0/<randomly-named folder>/hdl

When I regenerated the outputs, Vivado simply generated a new randomly-named folder  and placed the new HDL files into it. It does not delete the original randomly-named folder.

1) How am I sure that Vivado uses the new HDL files to generate outputs, when both HDL folders are randomly named?

2) What is the intention of using a randomly named folder to house IP HDL files?

3) Must I retain the old randomly-named folder for Vivado to work properly?  Can I delete it?

4) If I don't delete old randomly-named folders, can I tell which is the current one being used to generated the outputs simply by looking at the random string?

Neo

Adventurer

Hi,

I tried several times.  Your method does not work.

From within my project, I selected my IP and ran <Edit in IP Packager>.  Vivado prompts me to create a project in the same directory as the IP in order to work on the IP, so I followed.  I modified the IP's HDL file in repository by simply adding white spaces and saving.  Finally I went to "Review and Package" and ran <Re-Package IP>.  Then I was returned to the original project automatically.

In my project "IP Status" window, I ran <Rerun> to refresh.  and "Current Version" show an increment in the "Rev. " numbering.  The changes to HDL files are not reflect in the local copies held in folder "myproject.src/sources_1/ipshared/xilinx.com/myip_v1_0".

I ran <Reset Runs>  on Synth_1 and <Run Implementation> to completion.  Again the changes to HDL files are not reflect in the local copies held in folder "myproject.src/sources_1/ipshared/xilinx.com/myip_v1_0.

Did I miss out anything?

Neo

Hi Neo,

Did you regenerate the User IP files in original project after coming back from "Edit in IP Packager"?

Can you check the RTL files from with in the project (Sources --> IP sources) window?

Thanks,

Deepika.

Thanks,
Deepika.
Adventurer

Hi,

How do you regenerate User IP files in original project?

I cannot see RTL files from Sources->IP Sources.  The top level for my IP inside this window is myip.xci.  When I double click on this XCI file, a dialog box pops up "Open the Block Design first to re-customize this IP".  It does not open a RTL file.

Neo

Right click on IP and select "generate output products". Even after this u dont see the files, attach snapshot here.

Thanks,

Deepika.

Thanks,
Deepika.
Adventurer

Hi,

My screen does not have that option.

screencap.png

Right click on the block design in IP sources tab as shown below.

Capture.PNG

Thanks,
Deepika.