UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Version control in Xilinx SDK for Vivado

Hi,

I'm quite used to using version control for Xilinx SDK projects, and I've never had a problem for the SDK that came with the ISE/EDK 14.7 tools. I generally do it according to the advice on this page:

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx14_4/SDK_Doc/reference/sdk_u_cvs.htm

However since I've moved to Vivado, the SDK adds an extra line into the "system.mss" file that contains an absolute path - rather than a relative path. I've noticed that it doesn't matter where I locate the SDK workspace with respect to the Vivado project files - the path is always absolute and it even does this when I use the "internal to project" option for creating the SDK workspace.

The extra line added is the first one and it appears like this:

PARAMETER NAME = E:\projects\microzed-project\SDK\hello_world_bsp\system.mss

Does anyone know how to get around this problem? I'm sure many other people are using version control with the SDK projects so someone must have found a work-around (or maybe there's an option somewhere).

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Version control in Xilinx SDK for Vivado

Jeff,

I just noticed this also.  What application is using this PARAMETER?  Is it just there for reference?  I have moved my designs around but they have been on the same system so the directory would have been valid so maybe I just haven't noticed it as a problem.  Have you tried loading the design from your VersionManagement system to another computer to see who complains?

Did you get another response or some feedback as to what is going on?  I would like to know as using VersionManagement on Xilinx has gotten a lot easier with Vivado; but it isn't still smooth sailing yet!

Thanks,

TomT...

0 Kudos

Hi Tom,

If you clone/check-out a project with this absolute path, then try to import the applications into a new workspace, SDK complains and says that there is already a project at the same location. It fails to build the project. I have no feedback yet.

The work-around that I have at the moment is removing the line so that at least when you clone/check-out on a new machine, it will build, but obviously it's not a long-term solution because whenever system.mss is modified, you'll have to remove the absolute path again manually.

Jeff

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

I see this system.mss issue also in Vivado 2014.2.

But, I don't seem have issues with the system.mss per se. I do seem to have to commit the .metadata and the entire set of files under the bsp to get things to work. This seems odd.
0 Kudos
Newbie dthursby

Jeff,

Did you ever get a long-term soluction for this?  I am seeing the same issue in 2014.4.  After six months, I would hope that there would be some resolution.

David

0 Kudos
Newbie bhorgan

I have just run into the same issue in 2016.2

Ben

0 Kudos
Scholar ronnywebers
Scholar

@jeffrey.johnson I recenlty switched to Vivado/SDK 2018.2, hoping that there would be some improvements on revision control and better doc, but it still does not seem to be the case.

I recreated a new post here, hoping that some peopl (maybe like you) have found a way to use git and .gitignore succesfully with SDK projects. Thanks in advance for throwing an eye on this post!

** kudo if the answer was helpful. Accept as solution if your question is answered **
0 Kudos