UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor alukin
Visitor

What is minimal Spatran chip for MircoBlaze V.7?

I spent hours digging around Xilinx site and did not find any information about size of MicroBlaze in terms of chip gates.

Could someone tell how much full featured MicroBlaze will eat of Spartan 3 chip and what is minimal chip I can place it on?

I know that MicroBlase  is highly configurable but I need to run Linux 2.6 on it with MMU, probably simple FPU, Ethernet, may be DMA. It will be good if I get 50K for my own logic left.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Historian
Historian

Re: What is minimal Spatran chip for MircoBlaze V.7?

alukin wrote:

I spent hours digging around Xilinx site and did not find any information about size of MicroBlaze in terms of chip gates.

Could someone tell how much full featured MicroBlaze will eat of Spartan 3 chip and what is minimal chip I can place it on?

I know that MicroBlase  is highly configurable but I need to run Linux 2.6 on it with MMU, probably simple FPU, Ethernet, may be DMA. It will be good if I get 50K for my own logic left.

I suppose you should define "full featured." Since the process IS very configurable, it's hard to know what size chip to target. And it gets more difficult to size things when you start adding peripherals.

What you should probably do is do the design and target the largest device in the family you wish to use. The design should fit and you'll get an idea of resource usage. Then, from that usage report, change the target to a device that will fit the design.

-a

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
Visitor alukin
Visitor

Thnks, and yes, I agree it is most right way to do things. But I need to know approximately resource ammount needed for full-freatured MicroBlase chip to get general idea about cost of implementation.

I may use cheap FPGA for my logic and some standalone processor to run Linux on and it will cost me about 25$ for two stones.

I want to know what Spartan3 chip will be able to hold MicroBlase and my 50K  of logic. If it will cost much more I do not have reason even start such embedded implememntation with MicroBlase.

May be some  exirienced guy can just say: "You need 250K or 400K or 1000K chip for that." Period.:)

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

The overall size of your system is probably more dependent on what peripherals you need.

Both 1g ethernet mac and a multi-ported memory controller is larger than any configuration of MicroBlaze.

The requirements on the number of BRAM would most likely determine the size of the Spartan3.

So what peripherals do you need, what bandwidth do you want the peripheral to handle, how much local memory/caches/fifos do you need?

A MicroBlaze with MMU/Caches/debug/barrel shifter/FSL interface is around 4000 LUT , the rest of the system(without ethernet) is around 3000 LUTs.

Göran

Message Edited by goran_bilski on 07-23-2008 03:21 PM
0 Kudos
Visitor alukin
Visitor

Thaks for reply.

I need 10/100 Ethernet that able to handle multicast, DDR RAM controller, Flash memory controller, that's all. Rest of logic is not so complex and fits 50K chip. Currently I use 50K chip and ColdFire processor that has built-in 10/100 Ethernet MAC and runs ucLinux 2.4.x. I want to move to single chip design and may be run full-featured Linux 2.6 port with MMU code instead of ucLinux.

The real question is siple. Is it cost-effective? Can I fit into 25$ or even 40$ chip? Now price for my two stones is abot $16, I understand all advantages of flexible single chip desigh but I cant allow $100 chip.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

You should be able to get this into a Spartan3A (XCS3S700A ot XCS31400A)

The price depends on your volume and your distributor but I have seen prices for these devices (although high volumes) much lower than $25.

But if you just buy one, the price would most likely be more than $25.

Göran

0 Kudos
Visitor alukin
Visitor

I googled for Spartan and Linux boards and saw board on XC3S400 chip with ucLinux 2.4.

http://www.gaotek.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=118_9&products_id=41/#2

So I hope I'll be able to fit into 700K chip. 

0 Kudos