UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

ZC706 SFP Port

Jump to solution

I have a ZC706 board with a Zynq 7045 that I am developing on. I saw that there was an SFP/SFP+ port available on the board.

I am not familiar with this interface, but I have need to stream data at roughly 10 Gbps to an external computer. Is this something that the Zynq can handle over the SFP? Are there recommended IP cores that can be used for this purpose?

My guess would be that there is at least some sort of encoding scheme like 8b/10b required, which would push the streaming requirement to 12 Gbps, but there might be some additional protocols involved. Is there any IP that can handle this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Re: ZC706 SFP Port

Jump to solution

@lm_atl

Yes with 7z045 it is possible to do 10G Ethernet. ZC706 has the SFP+ ports directly hooked up to the ZynQ GTX Tiles which can do 12.5Gbps.

Check out the 10G Ethernet PCS/ PMA Core from Xilinx (10GBase-R). This will do the job for you. 

The hardware design is a bit challenging for 10G.

Good luck!

7 Replies
Scholar hbucher
Scholar

Jump to solution

Yes, the 64b/66b is handled by the 10G PCS/PMA block (PG068) that will deliver you a XGMII interface you can handle in user logic.

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/ten_gig_eth_pcs_pma/v6_0/pg068-ten-gig-eth-pcs-pma.pdf

However my guess you would not be able to stream from the PS, at least not to fill up capacity on the 10G port.  Each of the GP masters on the PS are just 128 MB/s and the latency is high. 

vitorian.com --- We do this for fun. Always give kudos. Accept as solution if your question was answered.
I will not answer to personal messages - use the forums instead.
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

@lm_atl

Yes with 7z045 it is possible to do 10G Ethernet. ZC706 has the SFP+ ports directly hooked up to the ZynQ GTX Tiles which can do 12.5Gbps.

Check out the 10G Ethernet PCS/ PMA Core from Xilinx (10GBase-R). This will do the job for you. 

The hardware design is a bit challenging for 10G.

Good luck!

Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Thanks for the info, I'll look at that block you mentioned.

The PS isn't an issue, my data is coming from an FMC card, so I'm planning on routing purely through PL fabric.

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

You can send it to the PS but you can't do much else in the processor when you are dealing such amount of traffic. You can dedicate one of the cores to handle this traffic and the other one for everything else. You must be running bare-metal, OSes can't handle this traffic.

From the FPGA side, run the HP ports at 64-bit at 250MHz. Make sure you have 32-bit DDR memory and a lots of them for buffering.

I would recommend Ultrascale for such a design. It can handle this amount of data with a breeze.

Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

@tn45eng

Thanks for the info. Do you happen to know what the IP status is for this core? in the IP catalogue the license is listed as "Purchase" but in the customization window it says "BASE-R is a free core and any licensing information can be ignored", I'm not sure if that means it is available by default or not. 

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

https://www.xilinx.com/products/intellectual-property/10gbase-r.html -

Included at no additional charge with Vivado® software

Just drop it in your module and you'll know for sure.

Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution
Ok, great, I'll try it out. Thanks for the advice!
0 Kudos