UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor wimdevesse
Visitor

ZC706 TRD not working: no PCIe connection

Dear all,

I recently acquired a Zynq ZC706 board and I am trying to run the TRD. I followed all the steps in the 'ZC706 Getting Started Guide' (Document UG961 v5.0), but at the point where I need to install the Performance mode drivers, I get the error 'No Xilinx device found with device ID 7042'. I also made the following observations:

- the status of the LEDs on the board is as follows: left = blinking, center = on, right = off, '0' = off, all others = on. According to the Getting Started Guide, this means that the PCIe link is down.

- running lspci on the host pc lists no extra devices when the ZC706 board is plugged in (which is the reason that I get the aforementioned error).

- the last message of the PetaLinux boot process that I receive on the control pc through the serial link is '...spawn thread_pcie_c'. I don't know if this is the desired behavior.

- the screen connected to the ZC706 board showed some linux boot text and then keeps showing a black screen with some sort of pixelated mouse cursor in the middle. According to the Getting Started Guide it should show a working Qt-based application.

The board was programmed using the files in rdf0287-zc706-pcie-trd-14-7.zip, as described by the guide.

The host pc is a new Dell Precision T1700. I checked the BIOS settings and all PCI devices are activated.

What troubles me the most is that lspci does not show any (unknown) devices, which means that clearly the PCIe link is not activated by the ZC706 board. Is this a software or a hardware issue?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: ZC706 TRD not working: no PCIe connection

Hi Wim,

I see you are new to the Xilinx Forum. When you open a new thread, please check if there are related threads with the same problem using the search function. (i.e. search for ZC706 PCIe)

I think these 2 threads are related to yours:

http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Zynq-All-Programmable-SoC/ZC706-PC-can-t-recognize-PCIE/m-p/435830

http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Xilinx-Boards-and-Kits/ZC706-can-t-run-TRD/m-p/285713

Could you have a look and check if the instructions provided in these threads help?

Best regards

Dries

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if the information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented by clicking the star next to the post.
0 Kudos
Visitor wimdevesse
Visitor

Hi Dries,

Thank you for your reply.

I did check these posts but without success: the first person seems to use the board in a computer with a Z77 chipset, which should be solved by running the board using the included power adapter (which I tried, but with no luck). I also checked the switches and jumper settings on the board, which are all in their default positions (except J53, which seems to be ok according to this post: http://www.fpgadeveloper.com/2013/10/jtag-problems-with-the-zc706.html).

I tried the latest versions of the TRD and the example PCI design, but in both cases no devices show up in the Windows device manager or linux lspci. In fact, even the BIOS menu indicates that the PCI slot is empty.

0 Kudos
Visitor wimdevesse
Visitor

So, I found that there was a compatibility issue related to my motherboard: I 'solved' the problem by moving the ZC706 to a different PCIe slot, which is a x16 gen 2 slot. The slot I used before is a x16 gen 3 slot and didn't recognize the ZC706 board (it does recognize my graphics card if I plug that in, so it should be working fine). I was not aware that the ZC706 is incompatible with 3rd generation PCI express slots, but maybe this is really an issue specific to the motherboard that I'm using?

Anyway, the TRD and example PCI design are working now. I'll have to live with the inconvenience that the only working slot is located near the bottom of the PC chassis which means that it is quite hard to place and remove the ZC706.

In conclusion: if anyone else has PCI issues with a Dell workstation, my advice is to try a different PCI slot.

0 Kudos
Visitor mdiggitydey
Visitor

I know this post is a little older, but I am having the same issue. When I plug the ZC706 into a gen 3.0 slot it does not seem to work, but when I switched to another system with a 2.0 slot the board came up no problem. My main issue is that I have to use the motherboard with the 3.0 slot for development and I was wondering if anyone figured out how to solve the backwards compatibility issue that the PCIe core seems to have?

Specifics about my setup

Using the ZC706

Generated the PCIe example project in Vivado using XTP246 reference

Mother board with the Gen 3.0 slot is a GA-H87TN (rev. 1.0)

Only status LED L is on and blinking when inserted in the 3.0 slot. (In the 2.0 slot all status LEDs were on)

Visitor mdiggitydey
Visitor

It kind of works now. I noticed that sometimes the PCIe status LEDs would illuminate in a weird order on startup which led me to believe that the enumeration process for the motherboard was not correct or was timing out on this device. I played around with the BIOS settings an ultimately found that if you set the following options under the CSM parameters or UEFI BIOS menu PCIe will work "better".

Disable Launch PXE OpROM policy

Disable Launch OpROM policy

Set Other PCI device ROM priority = Legacy OpROM

I am using a GIGABYTE H87TN. Your motherboard BIOS may be different, but in my case there seems to be an issue with the CSM parameters and the UEFI.

This is not a silver bullet in my case. Sometimes the PCIe will still not come up so I have to deprive the computer of electrons (unplug it) and sometimes I have to enter the BIOS and re-save and exit even though the options are set correctly indicating it is not a battery issue. If I cycle through these steps it seems to work more reliably.

At least now I am up and running, but I am still wondering if anyone has seen this issue with the Gen 3.0 Slots and what their solutions might have been.

Hope this is helpful.

Hello,

I am trying to run PCIE TRD version 14.7 on ubuntu14.04.

PCIE board is being recognised but error pops up when i am trying to install performance drivers.

any solution and any Specific procedure you followed please reply.

Regards,

vinayashree 

Explorer
Explorer

Can one use the ZC-706 board externally?
I need to use it for camera development, so plugging into a desktop would make it difficult to access the camera which must be connected to the FMC.
Can an PCIe extension cable work?
Are there any laptop which can work with it? I anticipate situation when I need to demonstrate to customers.
0 Kudos

hello lis_user1,

the zc 706 board is huge.it does not fit into PC box.

we usually pull motherboard out and plug the board into it.

Not quite sure about laptop,you have to open and check.

Regards,

vinayashree

Explorer
Explorer

Oh thank you for the information. 

I start to wonder whether I could use this board standalone without PCI slot on my motherboard at all? 

We don't develop PCIe related work here and we don't seem to have space for openning up the desktop casing. 

Can I put it on the desk and plug in a power converter, use USB for data+bit-stream like how ZC702 works? 

0 Kudos

hello,

The board can be used for stand alone. not sure abt what power converter means according to you.

Regards,

vinayashree

Newbie ronakec99

Re: ZC706 Reference design not working: no PCIe connection

Hi, 

I was trying to run PCIe example design (xtp246, Xilinx) on ZC706.

I did all steps followed by xtp246.

It was working fine and was able to see the device on the PCIe tree, and could able to do the BAR read/write through PCIe tree

But afterwards we had done some modification in PIO design used in xtp246, and again try to check the example design, but it don't work 

Now then we removed our modified design, and again try to run the example design given in xtp246 following the steps, but now the example design is also not working, and we are not able to see the blinking of the PCIe leds connection

Don;t know the issue

Does there can be  problem in the board  because of PIO example design modification

Can you please help to solve the problem

Thank you 

0 Kudos