UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor cwps88
Visitor

ZedBoard DDR Power Consumption Oddity

I have observed, what to me is, unexpected behavior in regards to the power consumption of the ZedBoard (Zynq-7000) when a processing core accesses the on board DDR memory in certain situations.  I have performed a number of tests were I monitor the power consumption of either the A9 core with DDR or a softcore Microblaze with DDR.  For both setups I have found cases where the power consumption of the board when actively running a program that frequently accesses DDR is lower than when the processor is sitting idle.  This does not make sense to me as I would expect the power when active to be the power of the core + the power to access DDR versus just the power of the core when idle.  I will describe a few of the cases I have tested and what I observed.  In all cases the “active” execution is running a version of GUPS (giga updates per second), a program that repeatedly accesses a random location in a memory array of a controllable size.

Setup: Microblaze connected to DDR through the AXI HP0 and HP1 ports of the Zynq A9. The local microblaze memory is only used for startup code.  All other code and data is in DDR.

Case 1: Microblaze with 32 kB I and D caches running GUPs with a 192MB working set.  When execution is complete the processor is put to sleep using the “sleep” assembly instruction

Observation 1a: With the I cache enabled and D cache disabled (meaning all accesses to the array to be updated should go to DDR) the board level power consumption is 7.2% *lower* when actively running than when put to sleep.

Observation 1b: When both caches are disabled (meaning all accesses should go to DDR), power consumption is 4.7% *lower* when actively running than when put to sleep

Case 2: Microblaze with 32 kB I and D caches running GUPs with 4k working set (meaning it should fit within cache).  When execution is complete the processor is put in a loop that continuously accesses the same index of the data array and sums it into a dummy variable.

Observation 2a: With both caches disabled (meaning all accesses should go to DDR), power consumption is 10.6% *lower* in the busy wait than when actively running.

Observation 2b: With both caches enabled (meaning most/all accesses should hit in caches), power consumption is 1.1% higher when actively running than when put to sleep. 

Setup: Zynq-7000 A9 connected to DDR.

Case 3: A9 running GUPs with 384 MB working set (meaning most data accesses should go to DDR). When execution is complete the processor is put in idle loop similar to Case 2.

Observation 3a: With caches enabled power consumption is 0.1% *lower* during active execution than when in busy wait.

These observations are counter to a number of my expectations from traditional systems.

Expectation 1: A running core that misses in the cache (or has not cache) and must frequently go to DDR should have higher power consumption than a sleeping core.  The former has the power of both the core and DDR while the latter has just the power of a sleeping core (and basic DDR refresh). Observations 1a and 1b are counter to this expectation. 

Expectation 2: A core hitting in a local cache should consume less power than a core that has to frequently access DDR.  Observations 2a, 2b, and 3a are all counter to this expectation.

I am interested in two items related to the above observations:

1. A potential explanation for the above observations (I have a few possibilities, but none are easy to verify)
  2. Is there some setup or configuration setting that would produce more expected behavior in terms of power consumption?

Thanks.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: ZedBoard DDR Power Consumption Oddity

Moved post to Zynq All Programmable SoC Board

- Giri
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's no such thing as a stupid question. Feel free to ask but do a quick search to make sure it ain't already answered.
Keep conversing, give Kudos and Accept Solution when you get one.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Which software version are you using?

0 Kudos
Visitor cwps88
Visitor

Primarily Vivado 15.2.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

I'm not aware of any configuration issues with the DDR in Vivado 2015.2. I suggest running the test to OCM, and then enable/disable microblaze cache to remove Microblaze power dependence.
0 Kudos
Visitor cwps88
Visitor

I'm not sure I quite understand your recommendation.  Are you suggesting I use OCM instead of DDR?  If so, I'm not sure how that would work as OCM is only 256kB while DDR offers 512MB.  Additionally, the observed unexpected behavior was not restricted to just the Microblaze, I also saw odd behavior with the A9+DDR.

0 Kudos
Visitor cwps88
Visitor

Do you have any comment on my previous question?  Right now I'm not sure a) the possibility or b) the benefit of your suggestion (as I understand the suggestion at least).

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

My desire was to isolate out the CPU cache behavior. Microblaze cache is non-trivial amount of programmable logic, and the PS cache enabled could also enable more transactions through predictive memory accesses.

But since you tried both A9 and Microblaze, I'd agree that it is less likely.

Thus my next guess is termination. Perhaps the DRAM termination at an idle state is turned on and is strong. By doing a lot of reads, the DRAM would turn around and disable its standby ODT. Consider hacking the registers in your ps7_init.tcl/c to change the DRAM MR register values which control the strength of both DRAM ODT types. See the Zynq DDR module register list and the DRAM vendor mode registers "MR/EMR"
0 Kudos
Visitor cwps88
Visitor

I looked into a few items, but still don't have a clear expalantion.

1) I tried a microblaze + DDR with 2 different cache sizes, 32kB and 4kB I & D cache, running Case 1 from above.  The change in power consumption during idle for this 8X decrease in cache size was negligible for the overall system power (<0.2%).  It also did not change the "inverted" behavior where idle consumed more power than running gups that should constantly have to go to DDR. This would seem to suggest that it is not cache size issue.

2) As you suggested, I looked into the DRAM termination for the idle state.  The reg_phy_idle_local_odt field of DRAM_ODT_reg was set to 0x3.  I initially thought this might imply a high ODT in idle.  However, when I changed this value to 0x0, the power consumption was substantially higher (~25%).  This would seem to suggest that the 0x3 setting is actually no ODT when in idle and that ODT is not the problem (unless there is some other aspect to look into).  I also ran a test with reg_phy_idle_local_odt set to 0x2 and while the power consumption was less than 0x0, it was still much higher than 0x3.

3) While I don't think this should make a difference, I will also note that I am running the microblaze+DDR tests with the Microblaze Debug Module enabled.

Are there other suggestions or items I may be overlooking? Thanks.

0 Kudos
Visitor cwps88
Visitor

Any thoughts based on my previous post?

0 Kudos
Visitor cwps88
Visitor

It's been a month since my reply to your post.  As noted in the reply, it doesn't seem that any of the noted items are the cause of the problem.  Are there other things I should consider?  Thanks.

0 Kudos