UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

Zynq QPSI Boot from Legacy / 1-Bit SPI Device

Jump to solution

Hi all -

Zynq-7000 TRM shows in Figure 12-8 that the QSPI controller can be connected to a legacy, 1-bit SPI device. Can this configuration used for booting as well? The use case is as follows:

1. Zynq BOOT_MODE/MIO is strapped to indicate QSPI Boot.

2. Zynq BootROM executes FSBL from a Cypress FM25H20 2Mbit SPI connected to QSPI interface. This is a 1-bit SPI Device.

3. FSBL hands off execution to a custom bootloader, also located in the FM25H20.

4. Custom Bootloader executes U-Boot + loads bitstream from a convention NOR SPI memory attached to SPI1 via MIO, and Linux boots normally.

Is step 2 possible, or must the bootable SPI device be QSPI? Is there a full list of instructions that the boot SPI device must support present? (ROFR, etc?).

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Adventurer
Adventurer

Re: Zynq QPSI Boot from Legacy / 1-Bit SPI Device

Jump to solution

It did end up working for us. We had to modify our FSBL to support the part we were using, but the silicon BootROM will happily boot off a legacy device that supports the usual commands.

0 Kudos
13 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi also have the same question.

I'm looking at the M25P64 flash. I'm wondering if I'll be able to boot from it even if it's a single SPI. If not, my next choice is a Spansion S25FL064..

At least, from what you said, the QSPI controller can be connected to a legacy 1 bit SPI. That's one step forward.

Regards

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Yeah, I was told by a vendor that while the QSPI controller can talk to 1-bit flash, it may not be able to boot from it.

I'm looking at the M25P64 as well as the secondary memory I mentioned in my example boot flow.

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Anyone? Surely someone must have tried this out / quick answer from Xilinx whether this is possible?

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Boot from a SPI device works. Some of our customers are using it.

- Peter

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Hi Peter -

Thanks for the reply; to clarify, some of your customers are booting their Zynqs from standard, non-dual/quad SPI devices?

Is there a list / app note outside of the SW Dev Guide that lists the commands that are required to be supported by a device?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

As the lowest common denominator the Zynq Boot ROM falls back to command 0x3 (READ). The Boot ROM always uses LQSPI mode and only reads from the (Q)SPI device. In other words, if a device is connected that at the minimum understands command 0x3, boot should work fine.

- Peter

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Hi Peter/ Xilinx,

I'm planning to use a Micron Flash in single wire mode although it supports four wire mode. Reason is the flash is write protected so it can be used only in single wire mode.

In ug585-ZynQ-TRM,  section 6.3.4, it is mentioned that the BootROM initially enables 4-bit mode and then reads the width detection word register in the device. 

And in section 6.3.2, it is mentioned that if the width detection fails it will perform a lock down.

So what I expect to happen here is, the BootROM will try to talk to the micron in 4-bit mode to read the width from the header and it will fail and it will go to lock down.

But you have mentioned that the device will fall back to single wire mode. This Flash device supports both, so how and when will it decide to use single wire and quad-wire mode? 0x03 is for 3-byte addressing, I'm confused how this impacts the single/ quad wire mode selection?

Please clarify. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Visitor avantes
Visitor

Jump to solution
tn45eng

Did you realise to boot the zinq from a single wire SPI? I'would like to do it too. Can you explain how you did it?
0 Kudos
Visitor maharvey
Visitor

Jump to solution

Sorry to bring back this topic, but has anyone managed to boot from a standard SPI flash?

The goal in my application is to have the smallest flash as possible, and using FSBL to load everything throught Network.

0 Kudos
Scholar trenz-al
Scholar

Jump to solution

please read the postings.

if you have 256KByte (or larger) SPI flash that responds to 0x03 command, then you can boot Zynq FSBL from it.

0 Kudos
Observer alxn
Observer

Jump to solution

I have gotten 1-bit legacy spi boot to work as well.

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

It did end up working for us. We had to modify our FSBL to support the part we were using, but the silicon BootROM will happily boot off a legacy device that supports the usual commands.

0 Kudos
Observer s381168
Observer

Jump to solution
Did you ever get this to work?
0 Kudos