UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

100G Ethernet licenses

Hi,

I'm looking at the 100G Ethernet Subsystem IP  (Document PG203) for my Ultrascale+ Virtex UV13P FPGA.

My design will communicate and connect with a Mellanox board using QSFP28 4-lane twinax connector module. The Mellanox Technologies board is an Infiniband protocol card running RoCE v2.

I'm not sure if I need to purchase the soft 100G AN/LT IP license or the hard 100-G IP which is free.

Xilinx did mentioned about the type of application (-CR4, -SR4, -KR4) which add to the confusion of selecting the correct IP to use.

From my understanding the -CR4 and -KR4 has to do with electrical interface of twin-ax and backplane interface respectively, while the -SR4 has to do with multimode fiber interface. Since my Mellanox card has a four-twin-ax electrical module then do I need to purchase the AN/LT IP.

But If I replace the twin-ax module with a MMF fiber module then I can use the hard free IP. I'm not really sure why the type of interface has to do with selecting which type of 100G IP to use.

Xilinx website talks about all this and it is a little confusing. 

In either case I hope you could explain which 100G IP will work in my application.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies

Re: 100G Ethernet licenses

Hi @tchin123 ,

100GE AN/LT is required for 100GBASE-KR4 or 100GBASE-CR4 applications. For all other applications, such as 100GBASE-SR4, it is not used. If you do not require 100GBASE-KR4 or100GBASE-CR4, you do not need to puchase this AN/LT licences with CMAC.

"Don't forget to reply, kudo and accept as solution."
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

If electrical interface  (-KR4, -CR4) requires AN/LT license, if both side is manually configured to work at the same rate then can the hard free lic IP work?

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

回复: 100G Ethernet licenses

If the link partner Mellanox can disable AN/LT, then you can have the link without AN/LT and don't need to buy the license

0 Kudos
Observer aforencich
Observer

It works just fine for me without AN/LT with a Mellanox ConnectX-4 or ConnectX-5 NIC as a link partner.  You do have to enable RS-FEC, though. 

0 Kudos