UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

10G/25G Ethernet Subsystem Latency

Jump to solution

In this PDF for 10G/25G Ethernet Subsystem Page 16 Table 3. The latency is given for 32 Bit MAC + PCS to be 36.8ns. Does this value includes the Transciever Latency too. 

@eschidl @nmoeller @karnanl 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: 10G/25G Ethernet Subsystem Latency

Jump to solution

IP core has generated GT with the specified configurations.

If you want to change GT settings, you can do it by yourself. Don't forget to do simulation to verify it after you modify the GT in IP core.

The GT in the link should bypass Gearbox, I think. Please refer to AR69011 for US+ GTY latency details.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hello sankalp@96 

I believe the value provided in table 3 is the latency number for low latency version/variant of IP for BASE-R only. IP with a configuration without RX buffer/FIFO.
The value are for IP core only I dont think transceiver latency is included.

Thanks & regards
Leo

Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

@karnanl Thanks for the clarification.

So the transciever which is configured in this is Preset with 10GBASE-R. Does it have any encoding with Gearbox or is configured in RAW Mode? 

Also the buffer/fifo are the FIFO/Buffer which are used in MAC?

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hello sankalp@96 

>So the transciever which is configured in this is Preset with 10GBASE-R. Does it have any encoding with Gearbox or is configured in RAW Mode?

10G Ethernet transceiver should be using 64B66B Asynchronous Gearbox, not RAW mode.
Yes I believe it is based on 10GBASER preset, but please generate the IP and confirm the transceiver configuration yourself.

>Also the buffer/fifo are the FIFO/Buffer which are used in MAC?

Yes correct.

Regards
Leo

Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Thanks @karnanl 

>10G Ethernet transceiver should be using 64B66B Asynchronous Gearbox, not RAW mode.

1. Can we use Synchronous Gearbox instead of Asynchronous Gearbox for 64B66B?

2. Also some Transceiver for Ethernet are providing the latency number so low which seems they are not using Any Gearbox.

As per AR69011 the Async Gearbox gives latency of 309-340 for 32 Bit. But as per this https://developer.xilinx.com/en/articles/low-latency-transceiver-designs-for-fintech.html they are providing latency of 26.570ns.

So I am confused. 

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

IP core has generated GT with the specified configurations.

If you want to change GT settings, you can do it by yourself. Don't forget to do simulation to verify it after you modify the GT in IP core.

The GT in the link should bypass Gearbox, I think. Please refer to AR69011 for US+ GTY latency details.

View solution in original post