Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

10G ethernet subsystem license issue x160

Jump to solution

I can successfully create bitstreams targeting a xc7k410-2 or xc7k325-2 devices using the ethernet subsystem v3.0.  I am trying to do the same for an xc7k160tfbg484-2 device in the Kintex-7 family but vivado tells me that the part is not supported. The datasheet for the IP block says that Kintex-7 family parts are supported (provided they are speed grade 2,2L, or 3). 

What do I need to do to get the tool to work with what the datasheet advertises? 

We have purchased the ten_gig_eth_mac IP that the ethernet subsystem needs (version limit 2014.04)

Thanks,

Hunter

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

From Xilinx product support:

"To take this to factory I have filed a change request CR-XXXXXX requesting the support for 10G Ethernet Subsystem IP with xc7k160TFBG484 device at least in later Vivado versions."

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

There are transceiver speed limitations imposed by the package too.

If you review the Kintex 7 datasheet or the DC and AC specifications you will see that you must have the FFG type package to run the 10.3125 Gbps needed for the 10G ethernet subsystem

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the response.  Good to know there are package constraints on features however, looking at page 55 of the Kintex_7_Data_Sheet the FBG484 package does support 10G rates with note 6:

6. The FBG484 package supports data rates greater than 6.6 Gb/s in the -2 and -3 speed grades (requires Vivado Design Suite 2017.1 or later).

I only see xc7k160t FFG676/FFV676 shown in Vivado 2017.3 as compatible families for the 10G ethernet subsystem, which is inconsistent with the datasheet.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer
It seems that only the Transceiver Wizard was updated for this note. I tried to generate the Aurora 64/66b, the only other core I know with 10G xcvrs, only allows 6.6 with that package too.

You should file a service request with Xilinx or your FAE. There are a few Xilinx employees on these forums but they don't read every message.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

hmleland.mms.rf,

I am not an IP/Tools expert per say but it looks like the IP/SW is behind on the data sheet update for the FBG484 package. I have moved the thread to the appropriate one to make sure that an internal update request is there to include these device packages in one of the future Vivado versions. 

Regards,

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @hmleland.mms.rf,

If you look at the supported families of this core in Vivado, you can see the device that you selected is not listed.

"Don't forget to reply, kudo and accept as solution."
Capture.JPG
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

nanz, 

The question is why is the FBG484 package unsupported as the datasheets say that it should be.  Is this an oversight in Vivado?  Thanks for your help!

Hunter

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

From Xilinx product support:

"To take this to factory I have filed a change request CR-XXXXXX requesting the support for 10G Ethernet Subsystem IP with xc7k160TFBG484 device at least in later Vivado versions."

View solution in original post

0 Kudos