Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gudurvenkatesh
Observer
Observer

Bare metal based Ethernet on ZCU102 kit

Hello all,

In my application, I need to store a huge amount of data from FPGA. Initially, I tried using SD card. But with this approach large amount of time is taken (around hours). I need this data on a PC.

I learnt that high-speed communications like Ethernet, PCIe, etc. can be used to send a huge amount of data. 

I have a ZCU102 kit with me and I would like to use Ethernet to send data from the board to PC. I am using bare metal on ZCU102 kit.

I am in need of some tutorial or links, which are useful to learn bare metal based Ethernet on ZCU102 kit. In SDK in mss file I can see documentation and example for psu_ethernet_3. But few terms like GEM available on the Zynq Ultrascale+ is confusing with regular ethernet. Please direct me to a solution on this query.

Thank you in advance.

Regards

0 Kudos
8 Replies
nanz

Hi @gudurvenkatesh,

XAPP1306 is baremetal based design targeting ZCU102. Please take a look:

http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/x3.%20XAPP1306

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/application_notes/xapp1306-ps-pl-ethernet-performance-lwip.pdf

The design can be simply loaded to test Ethernet connections. LWIP is used as standalone application.

Hope this helps!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

If starting with Versal take a look at our Versal Design Process Hub and our Versal Blogs and our Versal Ethernet Sticky Note.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
gudurvenkatesh
Observer
Observer

Thanks for your time and reply!

I have gone through the document and also run one of the example design, echo server. By this example, I am able to send data (same data that has been received) to the host PC.

After learning this, I am looking forward to sending data from FPGA to PC. While doing this, I am encountering the following points:

1. Every time I would like to send data to the same host PC (same static IP address). I would like to send data whenever FPGA wants to send (not when PC requests data)

2. I need always an established connection between PC and FPGA.

3. I have seen that most of the functions from lwip stack are usable in FPGA also. So, I can use the flows described at other web pages for transferring data to PC (http://lwip.wikia.com/wiki/Raw/TCP). I can use necessary functions and proceed to transfer data. 

My question is:

How can I make sure that connection is always established between PC and FPGA and send data to PC whenever I need? I am ready to assume that IP of PC is always same and can feed in FPGA program.

0 Kudos
nanz

Hi @gudurvenkatesh,

You may check out LWIP_TCP_KEEPALIVE options if you always have a physical connection between PC and the board. If you remove the ethernet cable, and lwIP will not receive the ACK from the PC, then it will close the connection.

If starting with Versal take a look at our Versal Design Process Hub and our Versal Blogs and our Versal Ethernet Sticky Note.

0 Kudos
gudurvenkatesh
Observer
Observer

Thank you for your time and reply!

I will use this and start my design and repost if any query arises.

0 Kudos
shayneyan
Visitor
Visitor

Hi @nanz,

I also try to implement the example design in XAPP1306. However, when i want to generate the bitstream, it says that "bitstream generation of tri_mode_ethernet_mac is not permitted" . Do you know how to figure it out?QQ图片20180929102947.png

Best Regards,

Shayne

0 Kudos
colombini_luca
Explorer
Explorer

Hi @shayneyan,

the xapp1306 uses a TriMode MAC IP which must be purchased in order to generate a bitstream.

Luca

shayneyan
Visitor
Visitor

Hi @colombini_luca,

Thanks for your reply. But i come out with another question: can I use GEM3, which is connected to a Ethernet module, without running any operation systems on my APU to access data and transmit data via protocol like TCP or UDP?

I go through the XAPP1306 but it just roughly mentions the GEM3 in bare metal application and I am curious about how to use it under bare metal condition. 

Best Regards,

Shayne

0 Kudos
nanz

Hi @shayneyan,

You can use GEM3 on ZVU102 directly. It is hard-wired to a TI PHY on board. You can use SDK LWIP example designs to verify the interface. This is based on baremetal.