UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor ksahni
Visitor

Board-to-board Aurora communication

I am using Aurora cores to establish serial communication between 2 separate boards connected with optical links.  Here are the details of my setup:

• I am using the Virtex-5 LXT with Aurora 4.2 and ISE 11.3
  • Each board is running identical firmware
  • Each board has 1 RX-simplex Aurora core (1 lane) and 1 TX-simplex core (1 lane) on the same GTP tile
  • The vhdl is lifted from the example design with modifications made to accomodate 2 Aurora cores on the same GTP tile (Appendix A of the User Guide)
  • GTP reference clock = 100MHz, lane speed = 2.0 Gbps

In my initial testing, I was using one board and the optical link looped back from the TX core to the RX core.  In this configuration everything works.  Specifically, I see CHANNEL_UP and LANE_UP for both cores and can send data from the TX core to the RX core successfully.

I have issues when I add the second board and connect it to the first (Board 1 TX to Board 2 RX and Board 2 TX to Board 1 RX).  In this case the RX cores on both boards do not show CHANNEL_UP and LANE_UP.  Keep in mind that the firmware on both boards is the same.

The only difference between the two setups is that with 2 boards, the RX core is on another board and therefore driven by a different reference clock.  My guess is the clocks on each board are out of phase (though of the same frequency) and this causes initialization failure.  In the one board setup, a single clock is driving both boards so there is no out-of-sync issue.

Any ideas on how to fix this problem?  Do all the cores have to be synchronized to the same clock?  

Thank you in advance.

Kiran

Message Edited by ksahni on 02-03-2010 07:41 AM
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Visitor ksahni
Visitor

Re: Board-to-board Aurora communication

I have solved the problem.

The issue was with the sideband signals that are used during initialization.  The RX-simplex cores require their sideband signals (ALIGNED, VERIFY, and RESET; all outputs) to connect to the complementary signals on the TX-simplex cores.  I had them connected but the TX-simplex core was configured to use timers for initialization (i.e. the signals were not used).  After using the Core Generator to configure the TX-simplex cores to use the sideband signals everything works fine and all the cores CHANNEL_UP signals are asserted.

Hurray.

0 Kudos
Newbie chiyuhao

Excuse me, can you tell me how to realize that , a single clock is driving both boards so there is no out-of-sync issue In the one board setup in the  board to board aurora communication .And, the initialization is using the timers and not a Back channel?

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
Newbie chiyuhao

Hi,how you initialize the the TX-simplex core using timers?

0 Kudos