cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

EF_VI support

I'm trying to capture packets with efvicap and get different results with different cards. 

Is there a guide to which cards support ef_vi features ?    

Older SFC9120 10G Ethernet Controller (rev 01) gives the error

" what(): ef_vi_filter_add: Operation not supported"

Newer XtremeScale SFC9250 10/25/40/50/100G Ethernet Controller works as expected.   

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi.

I do not recognise "efvicap" - is that an application that you have written?

Do you know what filter it is trying to insert?

Newer cards do have a greater range of supported filters, so it is entirely possible that this error message is expected.

It is also possible that the card needs to be placed into full-feature firmware mode; which - again - supports more filtering options.

If those do not resolve the issue, then please can you confirm the options being specified for the filter, and send the output from sfreport (available in our diagnostics package, from https://support.solarflare.com/ )

Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

I found the efvicap program on githubhttps://github.com/rigtorp/efvicap.

It looks like it hasn't been touched in a few years, but seems to work on our newest cards.  

All of my newer cards that run the program have plus keys and  licenses for onload, ptp, tcp direct, low latency, and solar capture tap,  and the older cards that don't only have onload.     I am not actually sure if I have differences because of hardware releases or licenses on the cards.    

Thanks for your help 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi.

So it looks like this code has three modes of operation; one which inserts UDP ip:port filters, and one which inserts a MAC-address filter; and one which tries to get a copy of all traffic via the sniff filter.

Which mode are you using?  (unfortunately, the error that the code throws oprints out "ef_filter_spec_set_port_sniff" even if it isn't actually the function it is using - that's unhelpful of it).

But the most likely cause is the sniff filter - as the availability of this feature does change depending on firmware mode and card.

On older 7000 cards (which the SFC9120 chip indicates), the sniff filter requires a SolarCapture AppFlex.  Newer cards include the SolarCapture-Tap Appflex already, so no additional AppFlex is needed.

To sniff outgoing traffic, the card also needs to be in the full-feature firmware mode.  That can be toggled using "sfboot" from our utilities package.

0 Kudos