UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer tpcorrea
Observer

EMACPS receiver problems with TI DP83867

Jump to solution

Dear colleagues,

I am working in a project with a self-developed board that uses TI DP83867 PHY for ethernet comm. The SoC is a buy-in module from KnowRes that has a  Zynq 7030 (xc7z030ffg676-1) device. The PHY is connected via MIO to EMAC0 and I run the Echo_Server application with lwip 1.8.

Though I can establish connection with the link partner and auto-negotiation has the correct result, my EMAC does not receive ANY packet.

Here is what I tried/measured/know:

- The RX signals out of the PHY (rxc, rd, rx_ctl) seem to be fine.

- I am able to transmit a packet to the link partner (the host PC receives the gratuitous ARP).

- All the phy registers seems ok.

- sclr_mio_pin_22 to 27 are configured as 0x1303.

- the EMAC statistics for the receiver stay in 0.

- I changed the rx clock delay from 0 to F (0ns to 4ns) and it had no effect.

- Two (long) days ago, it worked fine for a while.

Does anyone have a clue of what could be? 

Thanks in advance,

Tomas

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Observer tpcorrea
Observer

Re: EMACPS receiver problems with TI DP83867

Jump to solution

Hi, colleagues,

I found at the end the reason for my problems and leave it here hoping it can be useful to someone. Well, the Texas PHY has a weak driver for the Rx signals, i.e., Rd(3:0), rx_ctl and rxc, specially with 1.8V VDDIO.The PCB + the Zynq input capacitance represents a heavy load and the rise and fall times are ~4µs, so the signals look like this:

RD0

rd0.jpg

RXC

image002.jpg

As a solution, I will increase the supply voltage to 2.5V, because the drivers become stronger and hopefully it my solve my issue. If not, re-driving the PHY signals will be necessary.

Also, as a lesson learned, be advised that the MAC does not process a packet if the error signal from the PHY is asserted. It's obvious now, but it was hard for me to learn it.

Cheers,

Tomas

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Observer tpcorrea
Observer

Jump to solution

Here are the GEM0 statiscs registers. 0xEB000B158 is number of received packets.

2018-06-28 09_03_04-MmcCells.sdk - Debug - Disassembly - Xilinx SDK.png

And here the GEM0_RX_CLK enabled and the TX clock is correctly configured to 125MHz (1000Mbps):

2018-06-28 09_03_50-MmcCells.sdk - Debug - Disassembly - Xilinx SDK.png

0 Kudos
Observer tpcorrea
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi, everyone. This is a follow up post.

Well, as the board I developed has many Ethernet ports (11 in total), I modified the design to use one port that is connected to the PL. I used the RGMII to GMII and connected it to the GEM (hard MAC). As now the signals are in the PL, I can use the debugger to see what is going on.

Well, at the first try, I could not receive the packets and got the following signals (rx only):
image.png
And if we zoom the beginning, we can see that the data is misaligned, i.e., the octets are not being re-constructed correctly (rxd[3:0] is one clock later than it should).
image.png

When I increase the rxc delay, then the data alignment was corrected, though I still get the first rx_er at the beginning of the frame:
image.png
I still have to review the RGMII specs and measure the signals to figure out what exactly is going on and how to proper set (each) PHY.

Tomas
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @tpcorrea,

The Zynq GEMs do not add clock skew to the TX/ RX clock, therefore the skew must be added by the PHY or the PCB trace.

"Don't forget to reply, kudo and accept as solution."
0 Kudos
Observer tpcorrea
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi, colleagues,

I found at the end the reason for my problems and leave it here hoping it can be useful to someone. Well, the Texas PHY has a weak driver for the Rx signals, i.e., Rd(3:0), rx_ctl and rxc, specially with 1.8V VDDIO.The PCB + the Zynq input capacitance represents a heavy load and the rise and fall times are ~4µs, so the signals look like this:

RD0

rd0.jpg

RXC

image002.jpg

As a solution, I will increase the supply voltage to 2.5V, because the drivers become stronger and hopefully it my solve my issue. If not, re-driving the PHY signals will be necessary.

Also, as a lesson learned, be advised that the MAC does not process a packet if the error signal from the PHY is asserted. It's obvious now, but it was hard for me to learn it.

Cheers,

Tomas

View solution in original post

0 Kudos