cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor
Visitor

Ethernet basics

Jump to solution

I am working on a design that requires our RFSoC to transmit samples via ethernet to a receiving device. Currently, I have the ethernet core set up in simplex TX mode, CAUI10, GTY transceiver, and am simply streaming out continuous packets of data. I have a couple questions.

In this mode is the rx_alignment parameter needed? In my design, I have adapted the state machine from the example design and noticed that the rx_aligned signal in that is set by the PARTNER receiver whilst my simulation does not have a partner so I just set the parameter high after a couple of microseconds. Do i need the partner in the simulation for the design to be able to run properly?

Also, I am running the simulation as stated above and the tx_rdyout signal from the lbus is essentially oscillating causing the enables to go on and off for multiple cycles. Do i need to let the transmitters synchronize in some way before I can feed them in data? Their behavior seems like a bunch of random oscillations.

Finally, how is the data encoded to the 10 transmitters and how can I take them and restructure the packet in order to make sure the correct data has made it to that point?

Thanks for any help in advance. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Ethernet basics

Jump to solution

Hi @tturner44 

For Simplex TX mode, if you are using example desing yes, signal simplex_mode_rx_aligned which is a user I/O is used to start the transmission but to check the transmission with any link partner as per my knowledge you can always trigger this (simply asserting this signal) so that generator module of example desing will start sending packets.

cmac1.PNG

And on the tx_rdyout as the above para from PG203 mentions this signal will implement the back-pressure mechanism other wise tx_ovfout is asserted to indicate the violation. It is expected that this signal can go low in between. 

For the final query, I believe you are asking on the CAUI10 core configuration how the transmit packeting is done, I beleive this can be understood using the example design. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, give kudo and accept as solution
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Highlighted

Re: Ethernet basics

Jump to solution

Hi @tturner44 

For Simplex TX mode, if you are using example desing yes, signal simplex_mode_rx_aligned which is a user I/O is used to start the transmission but to check the transmission with any link partner as per my knowledge you can always trigger this (simply asserting this signal) so that generator module of example desing will start sending packets.

cmac1.PNG

And on the tx_rdyout as the above para from PG203 mentions this signal will implement the back-pressure mechanism other wise tx_ovfout is asserted to indicate the violation. It is expected that this signal can go low in between. 

For the final query, I believe you are asking on the CAUI10 core configuration how the transmit packeting is done, I beleive this can be understood using the example design. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, give kudo and accept as solution
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post