Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Ethernet connectivity options with SFP Transceivers for Artix 7

Jump to solution

Hi,

I am trying to implement a 1 Gbit ethernet interface on custom hardware centered around an Artix 7 using an SFP connector.  I designed the interface between the SFP connector and the GTP transceivers as recommended by an SFP transceiver manufacturer. When I did the design I made some notes to myself that to implement the 1 GbE over fiber I would use a "TEMAC" and the "Ethernet 1000Base-X PCS/PMA or SGMII" cores. 

Now my question is, if I want to use a 1000-T SFP Transceiver; which cores do I have to use for that? My hardware interface to the transceiver shouldn't matter, right, that is an SFP standard that is independent of the physical media which is used for data transmission.

Thanks,

Nick

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Ethernet connectivity options with SFP Transceivers for Artix 7

Jump to solution

No. The TEMAC does not talk to the Phy serially. It uses a parallel GMII interface. It needs the 1000BASE-X PCS/PMA or SGMII core in between (parallel GMII on TEMAC side, serial on Phy side). Hope that answers your question.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Visitor
Visitor

Jump to solution

The transceiver I am looking at is a FCLF-8521-3. I was reading the xilinx document on the 1000Base-x/SGMII core and the question came to mind: do I even need that core? I should be able to hook up directly to the SFP 1000Base-T transceiver using the xilinx TEMAC core, right?

The only reason to use the -X core is to bridge between the SGMII interface from the TEMAC core to the the PMA interface that an optical SFP transceiver can talk to, or to bridge SGMII to GMII; right? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

No. The TEMAC does not talk to the Phy serially. It uses a parallel GMII interface. It needs the 1000BASE-X PCS/PMA or SGMII core in between (parallel GMII on TEMAC side, serial on Phy side). Hope that answers your question.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos