Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Ethernet on Zynq board and hardcore vs softcore

Jump to solution

Hi,

I need some advice about working with Ethernet on ZYNQ boards (zc706). In page 2 of XAPP1082 mention the following sentence:

"  The three Ethernet links cannot be active at the same time because the ZC706 board offers only
one SFP cage for the 1000BASE-X or SGMII PHY. The PS-GEM0 is always tied to the RGMII Marvell PHY.
The PS-GEM1 and the PL Ethernet share the 1000 BASE-X or SGMII PHY so only two Ethernet Links can be
active at a given time. The 1000BASE-X/SGMII PHY and the GTX transceiver are part of the AXI Ethernet
core for PL Ethernet design. "

Base on " The three Ethernet links cannot be active at the same time ", we only can use two Ethernet connections. My question is: Could we use other connections through FMC if No, why in some projects use FMC to using Ethernet( so It could be used but need 1000BASE-X/SGMII PHY and Ethernet PHY chip). But if YES, Do we need a special board for FMC which includes a hard chip to support Ethernet.

My point is if there are only two Ethernet connections so it means we can not instantiate several IP Ethernet in our design... Could this mean the Ethernet it's hardcore on boards? 

I hope I have made my point clear.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Not really clear, but not your fault.

I think that ("only two links") refers to the ones under PS control. You can have as many ethernet links as transceivers available and the IP in the PL. If the transceiver pins are routed to the FMC, then "all" you need is another board with the rest of the hardware (RJ45, SFP, etc).

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Highlighted

Not really clear, but not your fault.

I think that ("only two links") refers to the ones under PS control. You can have as many ethernet links as transceivers available and the IP in the PL. If the transceiver pins are routed to the FMC, then "all" you need is another board with the rest of the hardware (RJ45, SFP, etc).

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Observer
Observer

@archangel-lightworks  Thank you for the reply.

you mention " You can have as many ethernet links as transceivers available and the IP in the PL ", but as I know zc706 has one transceiver available. So, in this case, we just can instantiate one IP ethernet in our design, Am I right?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Nope. From UG 954:

The ZC706 board provides access to 16 GTX transceivers:
• Four of the GTX transceivers are wired to the PCI Express x4 endpoint edge connector
(P4) fingers
• Eight of the GTX transceivers are wired to the FMC HPC connector (J37)
• One GTX transceiver is wired to the FMC LPC connector (J5)
• One GTX transceiver is wired to SMA connectors (RX: J32, J33 TX: J35, J34)
• One GTX transceiver is wired to the SFP/SFP+ Module connector (P2) • One GTX transceiver is unused and is wired in a capacitively coupled TX-to-RX loopback configuration The GTX transceivers in Zynq-7000 series SoCs are grouped into four channels described as Quads
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

@archangel-lightworks I Really thanks for sharing this information.

So, in this case, we could instantiate 16 Ethernet IP but for ones that we want to use FMC, we also need others ( sfp+rj45 and etc) as you mentioned.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I'd say yes (again, I'm not familiar with that board).

So you can bring up to 8 links (rx-tx pairs) through the FMC to a board with the rest of the hardware. And have the corresponding Ethernet IP (and PHY) in the PL, plus rest of AXI stuff. Yeah, you can make your own home-made router!