UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Participant dimitris78
Participant

Ethernet simulation takes > 1ms

Jump to solution

I'm trying to use the Ethernet 100G core and even with the -d SIM_SPEED_UP option for xvlog, the simulation takes more 1ms in order to get rx_stat_aligned. This has been previously documented:

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Ethernet/Virtex-UltraScale-100G-Ethernet-SIM-SPEED-UP-not-functional/m-p/892454#M14199

Is there any progress in providing a shorter simulation time now or in the future ? Does xilinx plan to address this ?

This is a major bottleneck in the design workflow and it should be possible to configure the simulation to run much faster, with some to no loss of feature verification.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Ethernet simulation takes > 1ms

Jump to solution

Do you enable RSFEC? It takes some time to get the FEC alignment.

How long time do you get aligned now? Still needs more than 1ms?

I just created an CAUI-4 example. It takes less than 200us to get stat_rx_aligned asserted.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hey @dimitris78,

That does seem quite long, so I checked it. In Vivado 2019.1, the example design simulation with cmac and cmac_usplus IP, default settings on the IP, which SIM_SPEED_UP set, and the alignment pin came up in around 110 us. I am not sure what causes the difference. Do you change any of the parameters on the IP? Are you getting any message in the simulation log about the SIM_SPEED_UP option?

To get the simulation to run faster, you could manually reduce the alignment marker spacing by making a copy of the IP source and editing the value of CTL_RX_VL_LENGTH_MINUS1 in  cmac_usplus_0_wrapper.v. However, I would caution that there is already a loss of feature verification when the SIM_SPEED_UP option is set; further shortening of the alignment marker spacing may exacerbate these losses.

Nicholas Moellers

Xilinx Worldwide Technical Support
0 Kudos
Participant dimitris78
Participant

Jump to solution

Hi Nicholas, 

I don't see any SIM_SPEED_UP setting. 

I have a CONFIG.FAST_SIM_MODE which I have set to 1 and a SELECTED_SIM_MODE that is set to 'rtl'.

The targeted device is the Kintex xcku11p-ffv1517-1-e and the IP is the Ultrascale+ 100G Ethernet subsystem. It's using 4 x 25.7812G physical and the GT RefClk is 156.25.

Thanks,

Dimitris

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hey Dimitris,

I don't understand; earlier you said you were using  -d SIM_SPEED_UP option, now you don't see any SIM_SPEED_UP setting?

Nick

Nicholas Moellers

Xilinx Worldwide Technical Support
0 Kudos
Participant dimitris78
Participant

Jump to solution

My bad, I actually went to look for it in the IP CONFIG parameters... The xvlog SIM_SPEED_UP didn't do anything when I applied it. I used the example design as well.

The reason I'm asking about the device that you used and configuration is because we've noticed very different bring up times on a different IP that uses the GT transceivers: the Aurora IP channel_up takes much longer on a Kintex than on an Artix device.

Thanks,

Dimitris

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

After you applied "-d SIM_SPEED_UP", what's the value of "CTL_RX_VL_LENGTH_MINUS1" in your simulation?

0 Kudos
Participant dimitris78
Participant

Jump to solution

So, I re-run the simulation, and the value in the file was 16'h03FF. The cmac_usplus_v2_6_0_top is locked and I can't see it in the scope.

xvlog settings.png
0 Kudos
Participant dimitris78
Participant

Jump to solution

Here's some more information:

Configured value for rx.png
stat rx aligned.png
Configured value for tx.png
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Do you enable RSFEC? It takes some time to get the FEC alignment.

How long time do you get aligned now? Still needs more than 1ms?

I just created an CAUI-4 example. It takes less than 200us to get stat_rx_aligned asserted.

View solution in original post

Participant dimitris78
Participant

Jump to solution

I can confirm without RS-FEC I get start_rx_aligned in ~110us. I tried both with Kintex and Virtex FPGAs and the choice doesn't matter.

I also went back and checked the core that we used in the project where the  > 1ms time was observed and RS-FEC is enabled.

So it looks the RS-FEC setting affects the simulation time a lot.

0 Kudos