UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Participant a4speaker
Participant

GTP IBERT loopback

I need to check GTP link integrity on AC701 board. I read document xtp224.pdf (AC701 GTP IBERT Design Creation) while using vivado 2013.3.

I downloaded  RDF0222 - AC701 GTP IBERT Design Files (2013.3 C) zip and did waht was written in xtp224.pdf

In the design folder,  i noted in xdc file that no lines are there to connect TXP,TXN with RXP and RXN respectively.

In serial IO analyzer layout mode, the link is up with 6.25 gbps while there is no loopback.

Link is up : for near end PCS and PMA loopback modes.

no link : when far end PCS and far end PMA loopbacks are done.

Can anyone tell me do i need to put TX,RX pin locations in xdc file or if somethiing else is wrong?

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: GTP IBERT loopback

Hi a4speaker,

You need to use SMA cables to connect TX/RX.

That could the reason why you don't see the links to be up.

Regards,
KRishna
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as "Accept as solution" if the information provided answers your query/resolves your issue.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Verify whether you are applying reset in IBERT after changing entries.

Also use IBERT design assistant ARhttp://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/33793.html to solve the issue

Also the following AR http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/54139.html helps to verify switch and & jumper settings and to check board problems if exists

Please mark this post as an "Accept as solution" in case if it helped to resolve your query. So that it will help to other forum users to directly refer to the answer.

Give kudos to this post in case if you think the information is useful and reply oriented.

0 Kudos
Participant a4speaker
Participant

I am using SMA cables tested for upto 6 GHz  on network analyzer

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi a4speaker,

Which revision of AC701 board are you using?

The GT attributes vary with the silicon version. If possible, try to generate IBERT core and see if the error gets resolved or not.

Regards,
Krishna
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as "Accept as solution" if the information provided answers your query/resolves your issue.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

The FAR end loopback mode does not work for a single TX and RX. the FAR end loopback modes indicate a loopback as TX(FPGA1)-> RX(FPGA2) - > looped back through either PCS/PMA -> TX(FPGA2) -> back into the RX(FPGA1 where frame check is done)

By connecting a TXP/N to the RXP/N, you are just looping back externally. You should give the mode as "None" to check for the external loopback. Check and let me know if the None mode does not show the required line rate.

Thanks,
Anirudh

PS: Please MARK this as an answer in case it helped resolve your query.Give kudos in case the post guided you to a solution.
Participant a4speaker
Participant

By selecting NONE as loopback mode, i get link up with BER = 6.2E-13 . I am attaching the eye scan result.

eye.png
0 Kudos
Participant a4speaker
Participant

Krishna I am using revision 2 of board

0 Kudos
Participant a4speaker
Participant

Is this link robust for implemeting Aurora?

0 Kudos
Participant a4speaker
Participant

I need to iimplement aurora core on AC701.

TXRESETDONE and RXRESETDONE are 1 but channel_up and lane_up are 0. Can this be related to link training or something related to link?

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

Since the IBERT shows the link is up, that means the data is being recived correctly at the RX irrespective of the BER values. You can depend on the IBERT test on the signal integrity of the link. On the Aurora Problem, did you simulate your design and check? Does the simulation also show the lane up/channel up as 0?

Thanks,
Anirudh

PS: Please MARK this as an answer in case it helped resolve your query.Give kudos in case the post guided you to a solution.
0 Kudos
Participant a4speaker
Participant

I ran simulation in questasim for 3000 microseconds and results are same. tx and rx resetdone are high and lane up and channel up low. The only change in example design is that i have given init_clk to the design which is generated by a pll (125 MHz input, 50 MHz output) and not from fpga pins

0 Kudos

you should be holding the pma_init HIGH until the init_clk has become stable. if pma_init is released before init_clk has become stable, this could be problematic. Please ensure this.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, give kudo and accept as solution
0 Kudos
Participant a4speaker
Participant

where is this pma_init signal?  is this exact name? couldnt find with even ultrafind

0 Kudos

Sorry..pma_init is used with 64B66B core.

pma_init is the gt_reset signal for 8B10B core.
0 Kudos
Participant a4speaker
Participant

gt_reset is applied when pll locked signal is up. It is stable for 6 init_clk cycles

0 Kudos

This is good.

Could you track the lane_init_sm in simulation and check where it is stuck?

0 Kudos
Participant a4speaker
Participant

I am attaching the waveform. Magenta are states of lane_init_sm. While tracking the RESET back, it is coming from channel_init_sm and responsible signals are in yellow color.

Untitled.png
0 Kudos