UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor sameedsohail
Visitor

Not getting 1Gbps speed from TEMAC core

Jump to solution

Hi,

I intend to use the TEMAC ver 8.0 Example design provided by XILINX for transmitting UDP packets over ethernet using AC701 dev board. The speeds as mentioned in the TEMAC document are 10 Mbps, 100 Mbps & 1Gbps. But when i tested the example design using wire shark i am getting the following results:

at 10 Mbps setting : 4 - 6 Mbps        (Mac_Speed  = 2'b00)

at 100 Mbps setting : 40 - 60 Mbps (Mac_Speed  = 2'b01)

at 1 Gbps setting : 20 - 60 Mbps     (Mac_Speed  = 2'b10 / 2'b11)

I have connected the FPGA to Computer using a 1Gbps switch & CAT5 & 6 cable. The speed listed in the computer lan settings is also 1Gbps but i am not getting this BW.

Is wireshark accurate method for testing bandwidth of link???

I followed the tutorial by Xilinx for Using TEMAC example design for Artix AC701 Dev Board in Vivado 2013.3.

LogiCore IP Tri-Mode Ethernet MAC v8.0.

Screenshot of speeds in computer (theroretical) & wireshark is attached at 1Gbps.

speed_ws.png
speed_comp.png
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Visitor sameedsohail
Visitor

Re: Not getting 1Gbps speed from TEMAC core

Jump to solution
Hi I just used the core example design with its own built in 4k fifo. I modified the pkt_gen_module to generate an incrementing pattern with each frame of fixed size 64 Bytes. Example data output: 1st Packet: All 1's 2nd Packet: All 2's 3rd Packet: All 3's . . . so on The issue was solved once i changed my computer and used a different computer with the same 1Gbps Switch. It seemed to be an issue with the internal ethernet card of the computer. Although it was stated to be 1GigaBitEthernet, ethernet speed was not going beyond 50-60 Mbps even with the switch attached in between. Thanks you.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi

What is the data traffic with which you are testing the through put and how are you generating it.

Are you using the same 4K fifo or increased the fifo sizes.

Regards,

Satish

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------
Highlighted
Visitor sameedsohail
Visitor

Jump to solution
Hi I just used the core example design with its own built in 4k fifo. I modified the pkt_gen_module to generate an incrementing pattern with each frame of fixed size 64 Bytes. Example data output: 1st Packet: All 1's 2nd Packet: All 2's 3rd Packet: All 3's . . . so on The issue was solved once i changed my computer and used a different computer with the same 1Gbps Switch. It seemed to be an issue with the internal ethernet card of the computer. Although it was stated to be 1GigaBitEthernet, ethernet speed was not going beyond 50-60 Mbps even with the switch attached in between. Thanks you.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos