UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Contributor

PL Ethernet with SFP module

Jump to solution

Hello all,

I am using ZC706 board connected to a custom board that is connected just via GbE.

I would like to use the PL SFP port to communicate between two boards.

According to the article xapp1082, I am using a similar block design for now. Also, I have an access to 1G/2.5G PCS/PMA, but do not have a license to generate the bitstream for triMAC.

I would like to see whether the connection exists between Zynq PL and custom board.

I have connected the Zynq PL's SFP port using a RJ45-SFP media converter, SFP port directly routes to the FPGA.

Also, I put a jumper J17 to enable SFP connection.

block information:

1. gtrefclk = 125MHz

2. clk_out1 = 200MHz for independent clock bufg

3. clk_out2 = 125 MHz that generates a reset after 1000 ns.

4. signal detect = 1

I've taken out gmii_rx_dv and status_vector[0] to check if I receive any information through the SFP and whether PCS/PMA has started working.

Here's a screen shot:

Thank you.

Regards,

Suraj Kothari

pcs.PNG
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: PL Ethernet with SFP module

Jump to solution

HI

You can generate the Hardware evaluation license for the temac from the below link.

https://www.xilinx.com/products/intellectual-property/temac.html

However you can still get the link up with the default connections of the Pcs Pma core with out an Temac interface.

What is the link partner and what exact data are you seeing on the transceiver rx and tx paths and status vector.

Regards,

Satish

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Jump to solution

GMII and MDIO signals  seems open.Connect GMII and MDIO signals  properly.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

HI

You can generate the Hardware evaluation license for the temac from the below link.

https://www.xilinx.com/products/intellectual-property/temac.html

However you can still get the link up with the default connections of the Pcs Pma core with out an Temac interface.

What is the link partner and what exact data are you seeing on the transceiver rx and tx paths and status vector.

Regards,

Satish

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Hi Satish,

Thank you for your help. 

I was able to get the link up with default connections. Also, there were some issues with proper clocking and resetting of the core. since PCS acts as a PHY in xilinx, it requires around 500ns or atleast 1us to bring up the status vectors. 

However I couldn't see anything on the tx lines. For simulations, I haven't attached a link partner to SFP yet. If I apply txd, tx_en and tx_er at the GMII IF, I shall see some output at tx transceiver side right?

Also, I'll have to connect the SFP with a link partner, probably a Broadcom PHY with magnetics. Not sure how the auto negotiation would take place. I wish to know if a proper link up can be set up between 1000Base-X (Xilinx) and 1000Base-T PHY. Connection from 1000Base-T is standard RJ45 and while connecting to ZC706 board, I use a Rj45-SFP converter. Will there be any incompatibility between 2 PHYs? 

Any help is really appreciated. 

Thank you once again.

0 Kudos