UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor jlt
Visitor

PS jumbo frame communication in Zynq UltraScale+ MPSoC

In "GEM Features" section of ug1085-zynq-ultrascale-trm.pdf, it says "Support for jumbo frames up to 10,240 bytes."

I tested the iperformance example project with PS + Ethernet on ZCU106, which set the following parameters:
#define IP_FRAG_MAX_MTU 7500
#define TCP_MSS 7460
#define USE_JUMBO_FRAMES 1

I could observe the data payload = 7460, but PS failed on sync error a few packets later. Some old post said it does not support jumbo frame in PS.

Is it true for ZCU106 ? Does anyone ever enable the jumbo frame communication successfully in ZCU106 PS ?

Thank you !

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Voyager
Voyager

Re: PS jumbo frame communication in Zynq UltraScale+ MPSoC

The GEMs in the (older) Zynq PS did not support jumbos. The GEMs in the newer PSU of the Zynq MPSoC support them.

We've successfully received jumbos (IP/UDP/RTP packets, with MTU = 9000) using GEMs inside an XCZU3EG. That's not the same as the "chip" on the ZCU106, but the PSU should be identical.

-Joe G.

0 Kudos
Visitor jlt
Visitor

Hi jg_bds,

Do you mean the different GEM design is the root cause of PS jumbo frame communication issue ? If I want jumbo frame on ZCU106, I have to use SFP to PL, right ?

2nd question, is there any EVB with XCZU3EG ready ?

Thank you !

0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

@jlt wrote:

Hi jg_bds,

Do you mean the different GEM design is the root cause of PS jumbo frame communication issue ? If I want jumbo frame on ZCU106, I have to use SFP to PL, right ?

I don't know if the GEM module itself changed, of it the enabled capabilities changed between Zynq or Zynq MPSoC, or if something else changed between the two--such as the DMA support for jumbos. I just recall Zynq GEM: No Jumbo; Zynq MPSoC GEM: Jumbo.

I don't know why you'd have to use the SFP port. A GEM is connected to U98 & P12 via MIO (RGMII). We've run jumbos through 1000Base-T. Granted, our RGMII interface from the GEM to the PHY ran through the PL, since our MIO's were used for other things.

2nd question, is there any EVB with XCZU3EG ready ?

There's this:

https://www.xilinx.com/products/boards-and-kits/1-jr4ees.html

But you'll need a carrier card (or an appropriate custom board) to use it.

Thank you !

0 Kudos
Visitor jlt
Visitor

Hi jg_bds,
    Thanks for your feedback. I want to use FreeRTOS+lwip on ZCU106 for PS ethernet jumbo frame communication. Do you where I can download such kind of reference code ?

0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Sorry; software is outside my realm of operation. Hopefully someone else can chime-in with an answer to that.

-Joe G.

0 Kudos